Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I increase disk performance under Win7?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I increase disk performance under Win7?

I just installed 4x WD 2TB EARS 64MB HDDs in RAID5 on my Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 motherboard along with Win7 Ultimate.

I ran the Win7 Performance Information & Tools option and the Windows Experience Index came to 5.9 which I am a bit worried about.

The HDDs are connected to the 6-SATA port ICH9R on the mobo and supports SATA 3Gb/s which is what the HDDs support.

I've attached the Performance Index report (JDMils Performance Index showing 5.9.pdf), the C-Drive performance graph (HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid5_01.png) and the D-Drive performance graph (HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid5_02.png).

The HDD setup is as follows:

* 4x 2 TB HDD in RAID5 using the Intel onboard BIOS.
    * 1 TB LUN created and used for the C-drive.
    * 4.5 TB LUN created and used for the D-drive.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How can I increase disk performance under Win7?

I don't know the specs of your motherboard, but keep in mind that an onboard RAID controller will be using the CPU and system RAM, whereas a dedicated RAID card will have its own processor and memory; depending on the CPU and RAM in your system that may provide a boost.

As always, ensure that BIOSes, firmwares and drivers are up to date.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Also, the score is for your primary hard drive, and not the RAID5 array. Either do as gforceindustries suggests or install a SSD to use for your system drive. Looks like a decent bit of kit - you may as well go the whole hog and ramp it up!
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
        Also, the score is for your primary hard drive, and not the RAID5 array. Either do as gforceindustries suggests or install a SSD to use for your system drive. Looks like a decent bit of kit - you may as well go the whole hog and ramp it up!
        Thanks Blood. I'm not sure about your comment on the score being based on the primary drive and not the RAID5 array. My primary and secondary drives are both LUNs derived from the RAID5 array. I thus would have thought the throughput would have been quite good.

Before I installed the RAID5 array, I was using 2x WD 500's in RAID0. Here are the performance graphs for those drives:
        Attached Files
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

The bottom line is that the hard drive(s) is the most serious bottleneck in any system. Your primary drive (1TB) is different to your storage drives (2TB), and the 5.9 score is based on the 1TB drive according to the PDF you attached.

I use 2 WD Velociraptors (300GB, 10,000 spindle speed) in my home system. One for the OS, the other for music and games. I also have two WD 500GB (7,500 spindle speed), drives for storage. The Velociraptors walk all over the other drives when it comes to access times/performance.

I suggested solid state drives as when used for the OS, you will see boot times, program install times, access times at super fast speeds. They are expensive but well worth it. Problem is, I'm not sure how they perform long-term - I don't know reliable they are.

But - RAID5 is one of the best arrangements for getting the best out of your storage both for speed and redundancy.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X