Could not reconnect all network drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could not reconnect all network drives

One of our companies decided to migrate to Windows 7 home premium. They also brought in a Vista business machine. Before this they were all XP pro machines.

I have a shared folder set up on our DC (Server 2003 R2) with users set up in AD to have access. All these computers are mapped to this shared folder using separate UN and PW. Everything works fine except when user restart their machine and log in they get the error "Could not reconnect all network drives". If you look at the mapped drive there is an X through it. BUT, if you wait 15-30 seconds and click on the mapped drive it opens with no problems and the red X is goes away.

All of our computers are set up with DHCP through our DC. I have checked the addresses and DNS and gateway are correct.

I have also found that if users wait at the login screen for a minute or so then log in the drive maps fine. This problem did not exist with XP. Here are a few things I have tried so far.

Turned off power saving mode.
    Shut of all firewalls/antivirus.
    Changed to static IP.
    I disabled all startup services and programs.
    Changed all the usernames and passwords to math those in AD.

I haven't tried anything on the server yet. I wouldn't even know where to start. I guess I did check the event log and saw no errors or warnings. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but some of the actual domain users take about 10 minutes to log in every time. And some users randomly load a temporary profile and have to reboot the machine to get a successful login. Like I said, I have no idea if these problems are related and as soon as I get the network drive connection problem fixed I will probably start another topic on these other issues in the server section. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Could not reconnect all network drives

Uhh... can the Home editions of Windows 7 be used for commercial use? Unless Microsoft have changed their licensing strategy, then the answer would be no.

Look into this ASAP and verify that you are operating legally.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've found this to be normal on my W7-Ent laptop.

I never really figured out why. It would bother me in an instance where user education was required. I have a vague feeling it may be something to do with ipv6 somewhere?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Uhh... can the Home editions of Windows 7 be used for commercial use? Unless Microsoft have changed their licensing strategy, then the answer would be no.

Look into this ASAP and verify that you are operating legally.
        Corporate already worked out the licensing. I assure you we are operating legally. Corporate gave us a list of restrictions which we comply and the company is audited annually. I don't work directly for them so that is their issue.

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        I've found this to be normal on my W7-Ent laptop.

I never really figured out why. It would bother me in an instance where user education was required. I have a vague feeling it may be something to do with ipv6 somewhere?
        I will try and disable ipv6 on more computers when I get back tomorrow. I did try and disable it on one of the W7 computers(not connected to the domain) and it didn't change anything with the drive connection issue. Will it make a difference to disable on all computers?

Comment

After you disable IPv6, you will need to restart the computer as well. How are you disabling it? I have a feeling you do it via TCP-IP and make a registry change and then restart.

Also, make sure you check your AV is compatible with Windows 7. E.g. Sophos v7 is compatible with Vista but not supported for Windows 7, V9 is.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            After you disable IPv6, you will need to restart the computer as well. How are you disabling it? I have a feeling you do it via TCP-IP and make a registry change and then restart.

Also, make sure you check your AV is compatible with Windows 7. E.g. Sophos v7 is compatible with Vista but not supported for Windows 7, V9 is.
            They use AVG internet security 9.0. Supposed to be windows 7 compatible.

I disabled ipv6 on all machines through the registry and rebooted but the problem still exists. For now I told them just to wait a minute before they log in or just click on the drive but a solid fix would be nice.

I am starting the migration to windows 7 pro from xp pro at the main company I work for. These are all domain users. I have one w7 computer on the way that I will be using for a while before I move everyone else. I have a script on the server that maps four drives at login. We'll see if this same problem exists with that computer.

Comment

We moved to Windows 7 and when file shares are on the w2k3 server, the shares intermittently drop. Look at the Windows 7 area to see the thread.

You could consider setting network locations for the effected staff. See if they remain active when the network drive mappings drop. They also appear in the My Computer/Computer. Also, you could create a shortcut on the desktop with a UNC path to each share. They can then use it should they have an issue. You could consider a batch file that wipes all existing drives and then re-connects them. Instruct the effected user to double click it when a problem is experienced. Again, test it out when a problem occurs and see if it resolves it. Should hopefully reduce staff down time and exscuses to go on a break due to computer issues.
              Last edited by Virtual; 25th June 2010, 07:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                We moved to Windows 7 and when file shares are on the w2k3 server, the shares intermittently drop. Look at the Windows 7 area to see the thread.

You could consider setting network locations for the effected staff. See if they remain active when the network drive mappings drop. They also appear in the My Computer/Computer. Also, you could create a shortcut on the desktop with a UNC path to each share. They can then use it should they have an issue. You could consider a batch file that wipes all existing drives and then re-connects them. Instruct the effected user to double click it when a problem is experienced. Again, test it out when a problem occurs and see if it resolves it. Should hopefully reduce staff down time and exscuses to go on a break due to computer issues.
                First of all thank you for all the tips. I may very well need them in the future.

I received my windows 7 computer today(That was quick). It connected to the domain and exchange server without any problems. I have been using it most of the day and the mapped drives have stayed connected. I haven't messed with any settings on the computer besides installing some updates. I am out of time today but on Monday I am going to create the same scenario with this PC as the PC's having problems(manually mapping the drives without being connected to the domain) to see if the same problem persists.

Comment

I have had something like this on some of my sites, and the way we fixed it was a start up script.

When they where part of the domain, we should just use user logon scripts to set the shairs (or a computer script that pings google for 60 seconds to delay users being able to log on(not the best, but usful)).If the computer is not part of a domain, then a Windows Startup.

We use AVG on lots of our sites, and I can confirm that AVG internet Business secruity is fully windows 7 complient, and runs fantasticlly on it (just lower the default scan settings unless all your users are on fully spec'ed workstations).

Also... might be a stupid question, but you are putting the presistant setting in? As I know windows 7 will drop a mapped network drive if it loses connection with it, if its has not been told to keep it.

On a side note, how is your network performance? It sounds like its alittle slow, with users loading temp profiles and the dropping of network settings. Are you able to get some network monitoring tools to see if you have over loaded a router or something? Check to make sure the the server is not in a 10Mbit/per second port on the switch (I have had users changes these ports around to get themselfs a fast connection). If you have no apps to help with this, a simple one is get every computer to write a ping test to a file while attempting to log on. See if your dropping packets or taking too long to get there.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
                    I have had something like this on some of my sites, and the way we fixed it was a start up script.

When they where part of the domain, we should just use user logon scripts to set the shairs (or a computer script that pings google for 60 seconds to delay users being able to log on(not the best, but usful)).If the computer is not part of a domain, then a Windows Startup.

We use AVG on lots of our sites, and I can confirm that AVG internet Business secruity is fully windows 7 complient, and runs fantasticlly on it (just lower the default scan settings unless all your users are on fully spec'ed workstations).

Also... might be a stupid question, but you are putting the presistant setting in? As I know windows 7 will drop a mapped network drive if it loses connection with it, if its has not been told to keep it.

On a side note, how is your network performance? It sounds like its alittle slow, with users loading temp profiles and the dropping of network settings. Are you able to get some network monitoring tools to see if you have over loaded a router or something? Check to make sure the the server is not in a 10Mbit/per second port on the switch (I have had users changes these ports around to get themselfs a fast connection). If you have no apps to help with this, a simple one is get every computer to write a ping test to a file while attempting to log on. See if your dropping packets or taking too long to get there.

Wofen
                    Thanks for the tips. I've managed to fix the problem on one of the w7 computers. I can't get access to the others at the moment. All I did was join the computer to the domain. I still log in locally but I have not been able to reproduce the problem since I joined it to the the domain. Once I try this on the rest of the vista/win7 machines ill let you know if I have any problems.

I am going to start a new post tomorrow in the server section about my network performance since the slow logons and such are all on our xp machines and that discussion doesn't really belong here.

Comment

Originally posted by baschaff View Post
                      I've managed to fix the problem on one of the w7 computers.
                      All I did was join the computer to the domain.
                      I thought you were using Windows 7 Home Premium? That can't be joined to a domain.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...es/domain-join
                      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                        I thought you were using Windows 7 Home Premium? That can't be joined to a domain.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...es/domain-join
                        Sorry for not being clear. This was on the pro machine that I just received in the mail. The main company I work for are all domain users. We allow the other company to use a shared drive on our server and they also pay my boss to use me as their tech. Kind of weird circumstances. Anyway....I received the W7 pro machine in the mail and it had the same problems as the home premium machines the other company uses until I connected it to the domain(But logged in locally with a persistent mapped drive). BUT...you are right. I didn't even think about the fact that the other companies machines can't connect to the domain. I think I will try Wofen's idea and create some sort of script that delays the login process for about a minute so the drives have a chance to connect. I'll let you know if that works.

EDIT:
                        I fixed the problem without having to join the domain by making a change in the Local Group Policy Editor Under Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Logon then changing "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon" to Enabled. This still does not fix the problem for the home premium computers because there is no gpedit.msc in the home edition. I am looking for a registry setting but I think they completely removed that option from the home edition. Looks like they either need to upgrade or deal with it.
                        Last edited by baschaff; 29th June 2010, 16:20.

Comment

EDIT:
                          I fixed the problem without having to join the domain by making a change in the Local Group Policy Editor Under Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Logon then changing "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon" to Enabled. This still does not fix the problem for the home premium computers because there is no gpedit.msc in the home edition. I am looking for a registry setting but I think they completely removed that option from the home edition. Looks like they either need to upgrade or deal with it.

Inform your client this is what they get for saving $40 per computer :P

Try disabling Fast user switching and all the extra stuff Win7 has.

There is a way you can disable the network during start up, but this has the side effect of mapped drives not always being connected at start, as well as meny other small problems. That, and while I have been googling for it, I cant find it again

I am NOT recommending this in a production eviroment, but I have found that sometimes getting the Reg key from Windows Pro and just put them into the home computer, it sometimes enables it. Now I have no idea how this would effect licenses, or funcationalty, and I have not done it since XP, but it might get it working.

Wofen
                          Last edited by m80arm; 30th June 2010, 07:37.
                          Good to be back....

Comment

I disabled all that stuff and still the same problem. I took your idea and made a batch file that clears the mapped drive then pings the gateway 20 times then remaps the drive. I added a shortcut in the startup folder. This works for now but where would I put a script if I wanted it to run before the user logged in?

Comment

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you need to deploy that change to multiple machines, write yourself a batch file to do it so all you have to do is run the script on each machine.

If the machines are domain members, then use Group Policy to do it instead.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X