New perfect install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New perfect install

Your about to install windows...again and you want to set it up right. Your sick of the hassle of backing up and loosing data whenever there is a problem.

Here is something we do for our customers.
    Make 3 partitions
    c:\windows & Program files = 15G
    d:\Recovery = 15g
    e:\Data & Documents = Remainder

Install Windows in your c drive
    Reserve d for you recovery (what ever program you use)
    Change your "My document" Settings to the E drive. You will never really know it is a different drive

Now upon system crash or you just want a fresh install, reinstall in the C drive and you don't have to backup your data or documents. You can even do a system recovery and no data loss.

I'm currently working on a better bootable recovery partition with boot manager, but don't have it exactly the way I want. If you have a good setup for that, please let me know.
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: New perfect install

15Gb for windows 7 is a tad on the small size
    My x64 installation (< 6 months old) is 16.5 gb for the Windows directory alone, and then add the swap file etc.

I would say go with minimum 100Gb C and the same for the recovery partition (or put that on a removable drive).

Also remember to update your recovery image on a regular basis as you install applications and most importantly to redirect user profiles to the data partition.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Look at Acronis.

We're only now starting to look at this for our users as we're sick and tired of folks losing data.

Comment

I always keep the data on a separate disk.

Full ack on the system partition size. Along with program installations the space will soon be consumed.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Good replies. Yes, that is a little small for windows 7. I do need to make some changes for 7 from XP standards. + Program files.

I have acronis, ghost, easeus, bootitng, and bootit does make a boot menu, but I'm woking on using windows boot.ini to 7's boot loader to work with a bootable recovery partition similar to Gateway's ghost partition.

As far as updating the recovery partition, using ghost, we make a new install image then a back-up image seperate. The backup image in my opinion, should be a week or two apart. Sometimes your system is bad for a while until you realize that there is something very wrong and now your backup will be just as bad.

All good points.

Has anyone actually created a bootable recovery partition (without having a bootable cd)? Why? My customers can't keep a driver disk, much less their bootable cd. Then you try to figure out what version the backup image was. It has to be self contained.
          I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
          Chris Robertson
          The Computer Doctor

Comment

Ahhhh....Citrix is your friend! You could also look into workstation backups using, say, Commvault. As stated, if all workstation data is stored on the server then re-imaging is no problem. We use GPOs to redirect documents & profiles to our servers.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
            |

Comment

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
              Has anyone actually created a bootable recovery partition (without having a bootable cd)? Why? My customers can't keep a driver disk, much less their bootable cd. Then you try to figure out what version the backup image was. It has to be self contained.
              This is actually a good idea. I'm going to steal it.

I'm a fan of NOT backing up workstations. in my last role - starts making backup environments too messy. users should store data on the server. Anything on their workstation, too bad.

Also, I don't know WHERE citrix came into this conversation.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                Also, I don't know WHERE citrix came into this conversation.
                Well, the idea of Citrix was given to the OP since there would be no need for workstations and local data- just dumb terminals. Seems like a VERY good option to consider. And if the OP doesn't think it an option maybe someone who reads this thread who is about to consider workstation data will at least now know that Citrix would save them 100% of the headaches of workstations- take it from me as we just migrated all 2000 users from XP to dumb terminals, both in local and remote sites and data backups are now so much easier to handle.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                |

Comment

Not sure in this particular thread, but from others, Mr Robertson works largely with home PCs or small businesses where a domain and TS is probably not an option. Even on a domain, the cost of TS/Citrix will have to be considered.

Agree with posts about not backing up workstations -- with WDS you can blow one away and redeploy it in a matter of minutes.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X