Right click on folder in explorer view causes explorer to fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right click on folder in explorer view causes explorer to fail

When I open windows 7 explorer in a dual pane window to search for a file I occasionally need to right click on a folder in the Folder Pane to open a properties box. For some strange reason, whenever I do this it causes windows explorer to stop working. This one is so weird that I have no idea what could be causing it.

Re: Right click on folder in explorer view causes explorer to fail

See if this helps: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...crash-fix.html

Since it is a registry job they are suggesting, it may be worth mentioning to do a registry backup before proceding.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks a million for what certainly sounds like a fix for the problem. I'll let you know as soon as I try it. While I am accustomed to delving into the registry I am eternally thankful for Sysinternals' great little Autoruns utility that I use regularly. With that I don't even have to run Regedit. Again many thanks for a quick reply to something I didn't really expect to get any reply on.

Comment

No probs, hope it works and please update us either way.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

My problem is fixed!!! As it turned out, I looked at all the software that had a Context Menu entry in the registry and I made a guess about the offender that was correct. The culprit was Steganos Security Suite 2007 and it is not compatible with Windows 7. I had installed it simply to get use of the file shredder it installed and hadn't noticed any problems with its functionality. After removing the application and all the registry trash it left behind the problem was fixed. This problem alerted me to another excellent piece of freeware from NirSoft named ShellExView. This little jewel shows all the Shell handlers on the computer and its listing is sortable so you can isolate just those entries that affect Context menus and disable them from one screen. I highly recommend this utility and many others that can be found on NirSoft website. Again, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
          X