Asking Administrative Credentials While Adding Network Printer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking Administrative Credentials While Adding Network Printer

We have just migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7 Professional in our organization. In Windows XP our client could easily share folders and add network printers. Now in Windows 7 when users try to add a printer from a network it asks them administrative credentials to enter. Similar is the problem with file sharing. All our users are standard users. I also tried them by adding to Power Users group but the problem remained the same. Anyone please help in this regard. I think disabling UAC totally is not a wise decision and also granting the users administrative priviliges is not the way to solve the problem. Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,.
    Last edited by biggles77; 4th June 2010, 10:35. Reason: Remove BOLD for easier reading
    Always Curious!

Re: Asking Administrative Credentials While Adding Network Printer

Indeed, disabling UAC is not recommended, neither extensive, unneeded administrative permissions.
    PowerUsers group is deprecated, it is there only for backward compatibility. So, it cannot be part of the solution.
    You did not say if you're in an AD or Workgroup environment.
    How often do your users need to install new printers? Aren't they installed by default/login/one-time configuration?
    I would test a partial solution on one computer:
    Run (as local administrator) GPEdit.MSC. Go to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment and add the specific user to the "Load and Unload device drivers" list. Test if it solved the problem. As I said earlier, it's more a workaround than the real solution. The real solution should be that the users won't need to do that at all...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks sir for your reply. We have Windows Server 2003 domain based network. I tried your suggestion by editing the default domain policy and tested a user by assigning him the right to "load and unload printer drivers" bu t to no use . it is still asking the administrator credentials. I completely disabled the UAC but it also did not work. Now it is a very cumbersome process to visit each and every user(around 150) to add the printers. If something goes wrong with the printer drivers or we add another printer to our network we have to again visit each and every pc to add those drivers which is a pain in the neck.
      Similar is the case with the users that they cannot share folders even those folders which they have created themselves. I think Microsoft should release and update for this bug.
      Last edited by biggles77; 6th June 2010, 06:32. Reason: Remove BOLD for easier reading
      Always Curious!

Comment

Curious, please do not BOLD your whole post. It makes it very hard to read and removes you the opportunity to emphasis a point by bolding the text. (an example )

Just a small point, it was not suggested that you edit the default domain policy . It is better to leave the Default Domain Policy alone and create a new one to "play" with. It is easier to delete a messed up new one than try and clean up the Default Domain Policy.

Have a look here and see if they have anything on GPOs http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/ I haven't looked for a while so I can't say for sure.

Are you looking at upgrading to Server 2008 anytime soon? With Server 2008 you can easily deploy and set a Default Printer via a GPO.

Perhaps you could look at a script to manage what you want to do. I am a scripting dunderhead but I have received excellent help and advice from the Scripting Forum on this site. It could be an option.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, curious.
          My previous post stated clearly to edit the local Group Policy, certain not edit the Default Domain Policy.
          Anyway, in a domain environment, I suggest you create a new GPO and set this policy: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Printers -> Look for Point and Print restrictions. It is by default set to Not Configured. I suggest you enable it and set the rellevant info that is needed there (like the address of the print server and UAC prompt behaviour). Apply this GPO to a test machine and see if it is waht you need.
          Let us know if it works.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Hi, curious.
            My previous post stated clearly to edit the local Group Policy, certain not edit the Default Domain Policy.
            Anyway, in a domain environment, I suggest you create a new GPO and set this policy: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Printers -> Look for Point and Print restrictions. It is by default set to Not Configured. I suggest you enable it and set the rellevant info that is needed there (like the address of the print server and UAC prompt behaviour). Apply this GPO to a test machine and see if it is waht you need.
            Let us know if it works.
            Well I checked the local Policy. As I had already changed the default domain policy therefore it has overrided the local policy also. I checked it and it has the same settings that I had done in my default domain policy. It means that solution did not work either.

On the Windows 7 client PC I checked for the Point and Print Restrictions as you had mentioned. I configured that policy and tried to add the printer. It worked well and did not ask any credentials. It means we have to enable this policy on each PC when we do installation as our Domain Controllers are Windows Server 2003 based. And there I did not find any such option i.e Point and Print Restrictions. May be these are only related to Windows Vista and Windows 7 while Windows Server 2003 is an old one. However is there any way to get around this issue in Windows Server 2003? any hotfix or update for Windows 7 new model?

Thanks for your suggestion. At least my adding printer issued solved. I am still wondering how can I make possible my users to share their folders.....
            Last edited by Curious; 6th June 2010, 11:17.
            Always Curious!

Comment

Here goes the screen shot when we try to share a folder in standard user mode
              Attached Files
              Always Curious!

Comment

It does not matter what OS versions are your DCs... What matter is the OS of the computer you are managing the GPO (meaning, the computer you run the Group Policy Editor Snap-In). You will be surprised to discover that when you open the domain GPOs on one of the Windows7 computers, you will have the forementioned setting available.
                Indeed, the setting is rellevant for Vista and above.
                There is no need to do this on each and every computer on your LAN. And, as I previously recommended, do not edit the Default Domain Policy, but create a new GPO and apply it to the computers you need.
                Regarding the sharing: what folder are you trying to share? How is your network declared in Windows7? (It should be Domain, plese check that this indeed so).

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

The Point and Print Option is not present in Windows Server 2003 GPOs. But is present in Windows 7 . so how can I configure that setting for Windows 7 using Windows Server 2003.

Yes the network declared in Windows 7 is domain.
                  Always Curious!

Comment

Again, the answer is in my previous post...
                    You have to run Group Policy Management tool on a Windows Vista\Windows 7\2008 Server machine to gain access to the additional options, not from an XP or 2003 Server.
                    To do so, you will need to (on a Windows 7 computer):
                    1) download and install Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 ;
                    2) go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features ON and OFF and enable Group Policy Management from RSAT.
                    Only after that you will be able to manage GPOs from your domain on a Windows 7 machine. Open your GPO and you will find inside all the settings that are not available on Server 2003.
                    Let us know how is going on ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

2) go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features ON and OFF and enable Group Policy Management from RSAT.
                      Only after that you will be able to manage GPOs from your domain on a Windows 7 machine. Open your GPO and you will find inside all the settings that are not available on Server 2003.
                      Important!
                      Before you install RSAT for Windows 7 be sure that if there was any 'Server Administration Tools Pac' or previous version of 'RSAT' installed on the computer is removed first.

possible additional step 3)
                      Sometimes it is needed to run a remote management tool with extended permissions (Run as Administrator) on the computer.
                      One of the ways to do this is,
                      Click Start / All programs / Accessoiries
                      Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator
                      On the command prompt enter MMC.exe. In the MMC console click File / add or remove Snap-ins. Click on the ADD button and add the 'Group Policy Object Editor' snap-in.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Again, the answer is in my previous post...
                        You have to run Group Policy Management tool on a Windows Vista\Windows 7\2008 Server machine to gain access to the additional options, not from an XP or 2003 Server.
                        To do so, you will need to (on a Windows 7 computer):
                        Fantastic. I followed your instructions and now I am able to access those settings which are not present in Windows Server 2003 GP. Thanks for the consideration. You are the master...

Now sir the sharing problem still there.... any help please...
                        Always Curious!

Comment

Working...
                        X