Hard drive space getting vanished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive space getting vanished

I have recently got a new Dell inspiron 1564laptop with 300gb of hard drive space, but recently i noticed that i have saved files in my notebook which should not exceed more than 60gb but my laptop shows available space as only 80gb.

i am running on Windows 7 home basic 64-bit, intel i-3, McAfee Antivirus,

system protection(recovery) is off

Re: Hard drive space getting vanished

Just a thought, look at your hidden installer folder:
    http://thebackroomtech.com/2009/01/1...ee-disk-space/

And also look into a utility called TreeSize to find out what is eating your space. Was this the same machine you upgraded from XP -- if so there will be all the old OS buried somewhere
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, is the whole 300GB disk defined as one big partition? Might it be you have unallocated space on the disk?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Entire space was allocated to a single drive c: which was installed by Dell itself, laptop was showing me the entire available space when i got the laptop but now it has vanished...
        Last edited by sam000sam000; 6th June 2010, 10:08.

Comment

Vanished as it's showing 220 GB used, 80 GB free when you believe you should have 60 GB used, 240 GB free?

Looked at restore points? Use http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/ to find out what's taking up the space.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sam000sam000 View Post
            Entire space was allocated to a single drive c: which was installed by Dell itself, laptop was showing me the entire available space when i got the laptop but now it has vanished...
            OK. One possible issue out of the question.
            Ossian suggested to check the disk with TreeSize (I worked with DiskTective also for the same purpose).
            Please check and come back with the results...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

I have to work this out for people regularly. Here is what I tend to do.
              • First do properties on the C drive and see what is show as the actual space
              • Then right click on user files and windows and do properties to see how much they are taking up.
              • You can select the rest of the folders and select properties on them as well.
              • Now you have an idea of where your data is taken up and made a nice little table. (it is usually under the user folder)
              • Now click on the C: drive and do a search for *.* and sort by the size column (you can filter for files larger than to eliminate small files)
              • This will show you all the large memory hogs, videos you forgot about and the music that store in the wrong place.
              This process help you understand where things are going and what you really have on your computer.

c:\ = size
              users = size
              Windows = size
              I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
              Chris Robertson
              The Computer Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X