Can't join Windows 7 machine to domain after upgrade from XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't join Windows 7 machine to domain after upgrade from XP

Hello, I recently upgraded my machine from windows XP to Windows 7. Ever since I have not been able to logon to the domain. The system always logs me on to a Temporary Profile; thus I'm not able to access domain resources.
    I resetted the computer account and rejoined the machine back to the domain..but its still not being successful; the error message tells me another system has the same credentials as mine and thus cannot join the domain.
    I also tried renaming the computer and pre-staging the computer account but its still not successful.
    How do I go about this?

Re: Can't join Windows 7 machine to domain after upgrade from XP

Don't double post please -- I have deleted your identical thread in the AD forum

Was the XP machine a domain member before you upgraded?
    How about disjoining, deleting the domain account and rejoining so a new account HAS to be created?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sorry about that earlier double post.
      Yes the older XP was joined to the domain. I removed the computer account and rejoined it back into the domain. I even tried resetting the computer account. But it still logs me on with a temporary profile.
      The last action I took was to rename the computer again; I joined it back into the domain and it once again logged me on with a temporary profile.
      Is there a perculiar problem joining a Windows 7 Enterprise Edition machine into the domain?
      How can I solve this temporary profile issue? Thanks.

Comment

Have you tried:
        • Make your client a member of a workgroup
        • Check that the computer account has been removed from the Computers node in ADUC. If not, delete it.
        • Rename the client and reboot.
        • Join the client to the domain again, reboot

If you get any error messages, can you post them.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

There should be no problem connecting Windows 7 Enterprise to a domain. This is what Enterprise is for... And from my experience, I have connected tens of such machines, never had any problem...
          A temporary profile issue should not (IMHO) be connected to the compuetr account, though, but to the user account. More specific, to the user account.
          How was the upgrade done? In place? Have you started the Windows 7 installation from within the XP?
          Have you used any of the pre-upgrade backup methods recommended by Microsoft (Windows Easy Transfer? User State Migration Tool)?
          Have you by any chance encrypted the old user profile in XP?
          One more thing: take a look in the Event logs and post here the error you get while you log in...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Any reason you cannot format and reinstall to remove any legacy issues that may be affecting you?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by nukunu View Post
              sorry about that earlier double post.
              Yes the older XP was joined to the domain. I removed the computer account and rejoined it back into the domain. I even tried resetting the computer account. But it still logs me on with a temporary profile.
              The last action I took was to rename the computer again; I joined it back into the domain and it once again logged me on with a temporary profile.
              Is there a perculiar problem joining a Windows 7 Enterprise Edition machine into the domain?
              How can I solve this temporary profile issue? Thanks.
              Are you using roaming profiles by the way? I suspect the issue is more related to the users profile because as I read it the win7 machine has been successfully joined to the domain.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

What version of Windows 7 did you upgrade to and what was the XP version?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Presumably Win7 Ent (Post #3) from XP Pro (since it was a domain member)
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Missed #3 but was actually thinking about a hacked XP Home version. Not the first time that has been done and I am also trying to get answers instead of the 20 question exercise.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

True....
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X