No announcement yet.

Limited or no connectivity indication.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited or no connectivity indication.

Hi,

We have Windows 7 deployed in our network and I have noticed that some users either on wired or wireless keep getting Limited or no connectivity indication. The network on such computers works just fine, they can ping, share resources, browse the internet yet the notification stays on. Upon double clicking on the network card it displays an X to the internet connection which tells me that the computer does not have internet connectivity but as I mentioned earlier everythg works fine.
    Is there a fix for this notification? or atleast can i disable it via registry?

Thanks.

Re: Limited or no connectivity indication.

Sure it's the connection they're using? I'm wondering if it's a separate icon for a different NIC, or an IP6 icon or something.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please go to Network and Sharing Center and post a screenshot of that window. Don't forget to erase any info in there you don't want to be public ...
      BTW, this is an issue that should be solved, no use in turning off the alarm...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

How can you call this an issue..As I mentioned in my post I am able to do all network related activities so I dont see any issue here to solve.

Comment

OK, so why worry about "fixing" it?

In general, something behaving in an unexpected way, even if it does not appear to affect users, is a symptom of a deeper problem that may come back to bite you later. It is better to get to the bottom of why the problem is occurring than turning off a notification.

(Just my 0.02 in whatever currency you want it in)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Do those machines have two network adaptors by any chance?
            If so, just ignore the incorrect X as per: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945925/en-gb
            Despite only having Vista in the Applies to section I believe Win 7 behaves the same.

As already mentioned, you can safely ignore it if it works but not attempt to "disable" it.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yeah it has 2 adapters the other one is a wireless NIC and this is the adapter which is connected to the internet with limited connectivity message. The physical card is not connected only WIFI is. The notification will be bothering our users as they feel that their notebooks are having an issue because of this message hence wanted to find a solution.

Comment

You stated in your first post:
                either on wired or wireless keep getting Limited or no connectivity
                So, does it happen only on WIFI, or on Ethernet also?
                Is the RJ45 NIC disabled?
                Is the IPv6 enabled on the WIFI?
                What events are written (if any) in the Event log (System) regarding WIFI connectivity?
                What security are you using for WIFI?
                What version of Windows 7 are you using?

Please provide us with more details, for us to be able to further pinpoint the root of this issue...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  You stated in your first post:
                  either on wired or wireless keep getting Limited or no connectivity
                  So, does it happen only on WIFI, or on Ethernet also?
                  Is the RJ45 NIC disabled?
                  Is the IPv6 enabled on the WIFI?
                  What events are written (if any) in the Event log (System) regarding WIFI connectivity?
                  What security are you using for WIFI?
                  What version of Windows 7 are you using?

Please provide us with more details, for us to be able to further pinpoint the root of this issue...
                  It noticed this happening on both adapters but seems like this is most common now for wifi users only.

So, does it happen only on WIFI, or on Ethernet also?--right now only for wifi users.
                  Is the RJ45 NIC disabled? - no its not disabled.
                  Is the IPv6 enabled on the WIFI? - yes it is enabled.
                  What events are written (if any) in the Event log (System) regarding WIFI connectivity? - nothing
                  What security are you using for WIFI? - wpa2 personal.
                  What version of Windows 7 are you using?- enterprise
                  Last edited by Wired; 2nd June 2010, 07:44. Reason: fixed quotes

Comment

Hi, sandy2810.
                    Given your new details, I would think of two possible causes to the message you get:
                    1) the Ethernet (RJ45) connection (with very high probability). Given the fact that the connection is enabled (and probably set for DHCP), it tries to connect and finds nothing. Hence, the message. It would be nice if you could disable it and see if the message shows up;
                    2) IPv6 on the WIFI (very low probability - the message you get usually says that there is no connection available, and here IPv4 works). You may want to disable it, but I would test the Ethernet connection first.

Let us know what are the results.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

If you are using WEP on your wireless, change it to WPA or WPA2. WEP can cause this issue you are having on both Vista and Windows 7.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

id start by turning the notifications off.

do you have firewall enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by toronto dude View Post
                          id start by turning the notifications off.

do you have firewall enabled?
                          Well, that was the original question: "How do I turn the notifications off?" This is not the relevant question, but "What is the problem and how do I solve it?"
                          Have you read the thread so far?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                          X