No announcement yet.

All program and shortcut change icon to 1 program

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All program and shortcut change icon to 1 program

Hi all,

My client PC sometimes have strange problem is all program icons and shortcuts on desktop change to 1 kind of program.

For ex: all icon of program and shortcut change to Acrobat type, when click on them, alway open Acrobat program.

I see some topic said this problem due to IconCache.db error. They guide me deleting this file of user ( in :\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local ) and restart PC.

I've done it however it is not solve the problem.

Did anyone meet this problem? Please help me to fix it.

Re: All program and shortcut change icon to 1 program

Problem solved,

I post here if anyone meet the same trouble, it will may help.

User mistake to choose default program (for ex: Acrobat) for all shortcut (.lnk file).

So when user open any program shortcut in start menu or on the desktop (actually they are the link to orginal exe files in other location), this link will open default program is Acrobat, not actual program that you want to link to.

In order to restore default setting for .lnk file, please copy below text and save as .reg file

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    "IconPath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65 ,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
    74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d ,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\
    00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00 ,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,00,\
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers\Compatibility]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers\OpenContainingFolderMenu]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
    "FileOperationPrompt"="prop:System.ItemTypeText;Sy stem.FileOwner;System.Author;System.Title;System.S ubject;System.Comment;System.DateModified;System.L ink.TargetParsingPath"
    "FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;S ystem.ItemTypeText"
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk\OpenWithProgids]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you have administrative privilege of PC, run .reg file directly

With normal user, when you run this .reg file it will show error because of some keys are currently in use or need admin right to change. In this case, you should put it in logon script.

My English is not so good, I'm sorry if it is difficult explaination
    Last edited by huyenthu; 28th May 2010, 11:03.

Re: All program and shortcut change icon to 1 program

Thanks for posting back, including the solution...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.