No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Restart

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Restart

Greetings all,

At my wits end trying to figure this out. I have a HP D530 machine with 2gb. 2.8 processor etc etc. Clean install of Windows 7, no additional software or hardware pretty much stock standard at this point.

Install went with no problems shuts down and starts ok from a cold boot. Problem is, if a restart is selected say after an update is installed, the machine shutsdown ok however when it restarts it just hangs after the bios has done it's bit and before the starting windows bit appears. No error messages and no response from keyboard, mouse and just a blank screen. Machine has to be then turned off and on which it then starts with no probs.

Have tried different mem, different machine of same model with same result. Have been running these machines with XP with no probs. Updated/reset CMOS and probably anything else you can think of but I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas.....

Re: Windows 7 Restart

Sounds like the BIOS is hiccupping during hardware identification. Is the version of the BIOS the latest available for that machine?

If so, then I would try examining the hardware - check that everything is working as it should. If there is a utility partition you can boot to, use it to examine the machine - run some tests and see if everything is OK.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy