WIN 7 P.C. Forbidding Access to Some Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN 7 P.C. Forbidding Access to Some Files

I have a WIN 7 laptop P.C. which has suddenly refused me access to some files on the C:\ drive - these appearing with small padlocks against them. This has only just happened today on boot up after working normally previously.

The files concerned include :- Docs &Settings, and subfolders of the Users Folder including Administrator, All Users, User Name, Default User.

I can boot into the P.C. using my normal user password and get the usual Desktop with all my familiar icons and recently installed Folders visible.

The only thing which I remember changing yesterday was to boot the desktop PC - ( one of the two machines I have sharing a LAN ) - into a previously saved Image File due to some corruption on that machine in the Outlook App.

The laptop is the other machine on this LAN.

As this laptop problem does not seem to have disabled my password - ( otherwise , presumably , I would not be able to boot it ) I am presuming this is not one of those forgotten/corrupted password problems.

Both laptop and desktop have identical User Names and Passwords.

Any suggestions ? - is it likely that the change made in the desktop with the reverting to a previous Image File could have any relevance to this problem given that the two machines are linked by LAN?

Re: WIN 7 P.C. Forbidding Access to Some Files

this is definitely normal on my Windows 7 laptop, and has been for.... oh i dunno, quite some time now.
    Perhaps a security update ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yep - normal on mine too for as long as I've used the OS.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        this is definitely normal on my Windows 7 laptop, and has been for.... oh i dunno, quite some time now.
        Perhaps a security update ?[/
        Do you mean those files are also locked on your P.C. and that this locking of files is normal ? For instance are you telling me access to the Folder "Documents and Settings" is forbidden to you ?

Comment

Yes - the eqivalent folder is the Users folder.

Check out the first answer in this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...8-1f50bf658e73
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
            Yes - the eqivalent folder is the Users folder.

Check out the first answer in this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...8-1f50bf658e73
            Thanks Blood - I read that . I was convinced something had happened to my installation of WIN 7 as I hadn't noticed those little padlocks before.

I actually moved back to a previous WIN 7 Image File but that was exactly the same .

Why , I wonder , do they have those forbidden Folders in WIN 7 at all ? There doesn't seem much point if they can't be accessed .

Comment

Working...
            X