Virtual PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual PC

Is there a way to run a virtual PC with Windows 7 Home. Ive tried Microsofts product but will not work with anything except Win 7 Ultimate. If you have any suggestions of other programs I would greatly appreciate them. I would love to run Ubuntu or Linux without needing to dual boot.

Re: Virtual PC

Have you tried Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 -- not XP Mode -- it installs OK on Win7 (cant say definitely on Home

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,
      Thanks for the input. I believe that I did try it and found that it was only compatible with Win 7 Ulitmate. Although I am not positive. I will try it this evening and post results tomarrow.
      Thanks

Comment

I am running Virtual PC 2007 Sp1 on Windows 7 Professional. Interestingly when i open the Virtual PC about page (information) it show my operating system as being Windows Vista!

Comment

I've run it below ultimate -- I think on Home Premium but will need to check
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Okay, I did download the Virtual PC 2007 last night. It does download and seems to work okay. But, there was a disclaimer that stated I was not using a supported OS and that this did not mean it would not work but that there was not support available if needed. So now Im going to attempt my CENTOS install and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply's.

Comment

I can guarantee that VMware Server works with Windows 7 Enterprise X64
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                I can guarantee that VMware Server works with Windows 7 Enterprise X64
                I concur also - although a java update might be needed as it loves to crash the browser.

Comment

Working...
                X