(WIN7 )
    The setup is as follows:-

dtop(XP)
    This is connected to Web through a phone line to a ZyXCEL modem and
    thence to a LINKSYS wireless-equipped router to a NIC card on the
    dtop.

ltop
    This is connected wirelessly to the Linksys router and thus to the web

Both machines connect without problems to the web.

There is a printer connected by USB to the dtop.

Both machines are in the same WORKGROUP and both machlines have
    identical log-on passwords and User Names.

The firewall , Zone Alarm, is configured to allow both machine's IP's.

I have created a shared folder on both with full permissions.

After following the instructions entitled "Share Files and Printers
    between Windows 7 and XP" found in "howtogeek.com" and also in other
    similar web pages , I have managed to achieve the following;-

1.The printer is networked OK

2.The dtop(XP) can see all files in the shared folder on the ltop(WIN
    7)

3.The ltop does not allow the shared file on the dtop to be shared ( I
    get the message "you do not have permission...etc"

4. If I ping from the ltop using "ping ltop" I get 2 out of 4
    success- (occasionally only 1 out of 4)- Pinging "dtop" I get 4 out of 4.

5. Pinging both "ltop" and "dtop" from the dtop gives me 4 out of 4
    each time.

Thus , to summarise , it would seem that I have achieved 2 out of
    three objectives , i.e.networking the printer and sharing between the
    dtop and ltop but failing to share in the other direction.

Can anyone help here ?

Re: Attempting to network WIN 7 laptop to a XP Desktop

Check the sharing permissions and security permissions on the Win7 share. Try to map it again from your XP machine. Ensure that your account is explicitly defined.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=Blood;198274]Check the sharing permissions and security permissions on the Win7 share.

To be sure we're talking about the same thing here , the permissions on the folder "Test" which is on the XP machines desktop are as follows when you go into PROPERTIES>SHARING :-

Share Name:-Test
      Permissions:- here all three boxes are ticked.

[QUOTE=
      Try to map it again from your XP machine. Ensure that your account is explicitly defined.

I've never been exactly sure what the term "map" means in a networking context I'm afraid - could you be more specific here please ?

I'm also not quite sure I know what you mean by my "account being explicitly defined" I have both machines account names identical and also their passwords if that is what you mean.

Comment

Set the share permissions:

Right-click the folder you wish to share, choose Properties, click the Sharing tab, then the Advanced Sharing button, then the Permissions button. Choose the account that exists on both PC's. Assign the appropriate permissions. Click OK until all dialog boxes have closed.

Set the Security permissions:
        Right-click the folder that has been shared, choose Properties, click the Security tab, click the Edit button, click the Add button, choose the account that exists on both PC's. Assign the appropriate permissions. Click OK until all dialog boxes have closed.

On the Win XP computer open My Computer and in the Address Bar type:

\\win7computername

and press enter.

After the shared resources are shown, right-click the folder that you shared, choose Map Network Drive and click OK. This will assign the share to drive Z: assuming you have not shared any other resources. Otherwise it will take the next letter available.

Note! Do not assign the shared folder the next letter up from C: or D: etc as these are usually taken by hard drives or removable storage such as cameras, USB drives and it can cause problems. So, always work down from Z: when mapping a drive.

The attached images show how to do this on Win7 Ultimate.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Blood for the very detailed reply. I'll have a go and post back. Much obliged.

Comment

Your suggestions worked , Blood for which I am extremely grateful.

However there are several observations I'd like to make in which I will reply to quoted extracts of your post:-

[Right-click the folder you wish to share, choose Properties, click the Sharing tab, then the Advanced Sharing button, then the Permissions button.]

Since this is the folder"Test"on the XP machine there is no "Advanced Sharing" button but after the Permissions button was clicked I get to the page where "Everyone" is already selected and all three choices are ticked.

[Set the Security Permissions
            Right click the folder that has been shared]

This is the folder "ltop share" on the Win7 machine. I followed all the instructions here although , perhaps as my version of Win7 is the Home Premium Version , everything here was not exactly as your version but I clicked all the permissions here shown.

I then followed the instructions on mapping the drive and the result was that I could then click this drive on the XP dtop and "see" the shared folder on the ltop . This I could not do before this.

This is the first time I have used this drive Mapping .

A final question ;- Why is it necessary to use drive mapping to make this network share visible when I could not make it visible just by applying permissions ?

I have been trying for many months to achieve a netorking LAN , initially between two machines both with XP without success and , in the process , I think I've read just about every article there is on the subject but none mentioned drive mapping - all expected the shares to be seen by applying permissions only.

I'd like to understand the problems here but , in any case , I am grateful for your effective help Blood.

To coin an Australian phrase of approval which I learned from an aussie mate of mine " Good on yer Blue , yer blood's worth bottling " !!

Comment

I expect the articles you read expect a certain level of network know-how.

As soon as you share a resource (folder/printer) on a network, it becomes visible to network users when they navigate to the machine that hosts the resource. Therefore, the only way to see this is to either use Network Neighborhood on XP and drill down through the network until the machine that hosts the resources you want is visible, or in Vista/Win7 clicking Network and doing the same.

You can also make life easier for yourself by simply typing

\\computername

This will display the shares available on that computer.

However, these methods require several clicks. So, if you will be accessing a shared folder on a regular basis it is easier if that folder is visible/available as soon as you open My Computer. Mapping does what it says - it maps a shared folder to a drive. That shared folder becomes listed in the same way that your local drives are listed. This makes it very easy to access.

Therefore, when saving a document you click File>Save and then choose the mapped drive from the drop-down list. Much easier than drilling down through network neighborhood, and quicker than typing \\computername\share\subfolder\documentname.doc

I'm glad you sorted it out

Comment

I'm afraid I owe you an apology , Blood , for misleading you with my last reply even though it was unintentional !

When I replied in that post saying the sharing had been solved I was in a hurry and mistakenly selected the wrong share to test the results .

Instead of testing the results of your suggestions by attempting again to "see" the shares on the \\dtop\Test folder from the ltop(Win7) , I merely clicked on the new mapped drive on the dtop which showed the shares on the ltop - this was what had worked originally , of course.

So , the end result was not a success as I erroneously stated I'm afraid but merely the same state as before .i.e. the Win7 machine (ltop) still cannot "see" shares on the dtop(XP) giving the same message "you do not have permission ...etc)

Also in my last reply I meant to ask if there is any significance in the different responses to the "ping" on both PC's. This morning , on checking these again pinging from dtop(XP) gives a success of 4 out of 4 using either the address "dtop" or "ltop" whereas from the ltop(Win7) I got 4 out of 4 usig "dtop" but 0 out of 4 using "ltop".

I hope this hasn't caused too much confusion to you and to any other readers with similar problems.

Comment

Aha!

My mistake also for not reading your questions thoroughly.

On the XP client right-click the share, choose Properties, then hit the Share tab. Make sure that your account is listed and that it has the required share permissions.

Share permissions allow you through the door, so to speak, and Security permissions determine what you can do once you are through that door.

Next, select the security tab. Click the Advanced button, and on the Permissions tab there is a checkbox labelled 'Replace permission entries on all...' Check the box and click OK. Close all dialogs and try to access the share again from the Win7 computer.

Which firewall are you using on your Win7 computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                    Aha!

[On the XP client right-click the share, choose Properties, then hit the Share tab. Make sure that your account is listed ]

there is no account listed here ( see the Sharing Tab.jpg attached )

[and that it has the required share permissions.]

It has all 3 ticked ( see Permissions on Test Folder.jpg )

Share permissions allow you through the door, so to speak, and Security permissions determine what you can do once you are through that door.

[Next, select the security tab. Click the Advanced button, and on the Permissions tab there is a checkbox labelled 'Replace permission entries on all...' Check the box and click OK. ]

When I do this I get the following message :-

"This will remove explicitly defined permissions in all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions to those child objects. Only inheritable permissions propagated from Test folder will take effect. Do you wish to continue ? YES/NO "

I clicked "YES"

[Close all dialogs and try to access the share again from the Win7 computer.]

Now I attempted to access the TEST folder on the XP machine by typing "\\dtop\Test"into the Start space on the WIN7 machine . This produced no effect at all !

I should mention here that , as I've only just updated to WIN 7 , I'm not too familiar yet in navigating around it and am not too sure how I should go about accessing the share on the other machine which has the path "c:\D&S\User Name\desktop\Test" Perhaps you could give me a clue on that - I realy miss "My Network Places" in WIN 7 .

[Which firewall are you using on your Win7 computer?
                    Zone Alarm v. 8.0.298.000

I'll try to up load the .jpg files I referred to here
                    Attached Files

Comment

Open Computer on Windows 7 (Start>Computer) and type the following in the address bar:

\\xpcomputername

and press enter.

Are you asked for credentials to connect? Can you see the shared folder 'Test'

For Network navigation on the Win7 machine click Start>Network

This should display all the devices that are connected to your network. If not click Start>Control Panel>View Network Status and Tasks (Located beneath Network and Internet). What do you see? Do you see Home Network?
                      Last edited by Blood; 17th March 2010, 19:45. Reason: spelling

Comment

[QUOTE=Blood;198453]Open Computer on Windows 7 (Start>Computer) and type the following in the address bar:

[\\xpcomputername

and press enter

Are you asked for credentials to connect?]

No

[Can you see the shared folder 'Test']

Yes

[For Network navigation on the Win7 machine click Start>Network]

When I do this , in order to see Network , I have to click Start>Computor>Network.

[This should display all the devices that are connected to your network. ]

I see "DTOP" & "LTOP"

[If not click Start>Control Panel>View Network Status and Tasks (Located beneath Network and Internet). ]

If I try to do this , the only thing I see in Control Panel with the word "Network " in it is "Network and Sharing Center"and , if this is opened the only thing remotely relevant to your question is "Open Network Map".If I open this I see the following :-

Symbol for ltop ========symbol for gateway with my network name================Internet symbol

Beneath that , under the following words:-
                        "The following discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map.click here to see all other devices" then there is a symbol for the DTOP.If I then click "see all other devices" it shows three items DTOP symbol.LTOP symbol and the Residential Gateway Device symbol.

Comment

When you view the network map, on the left do you see the option to view network connections/change adaptor settings? If so, click that and right-click your adaptor, select Properties and make sure that 'Client for Microsoft Networks' is installed and checked.

Try connecting again.

If that does not work try disabling your firewall, and see if you can connect to the XP computer. I'm not sure though that your firewall is at fault because you are able to ping the XP machine, even though it is a partial ping. What other security software do you have installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                            When you view the network map, on the left do you see the option to view network connections/change adaptor settings? ]

Yes I do

[If so, click that and right-click your adaptor, select Properties and make sure that 'Client for Microsoft Networks' is installed and checked.]

It is

[Try connecting again.]

No change

[If that does not work try disabling your firewall, and see if you can connect to the XP computer. I'm not sure though that your firewall is at fault because you are able to ping the XP machine, even though it is a partial ping.]

Tried it with both machines firewalls off - no change.

[What other security software do you have installed?
                            ]

AVG v. 9.0.791

Comment

Go through this page and let us know if it helps you:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows

Comment

Working...
                              X