Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 ...a Netbeui problem!

Hi all,

I am planning the deployment of Windows 7 in our environment and have come accross one stumbling block ...Netbeui!

The company I work for has an age old CNC router that runs DOS 6.22. It communicates solely by Netbeui. At the moment our environment consists of Windows XP machines. One of these machines (on the domain) has the Netbeui protocol installed and is able to therefore access the CNC routers share (from a drive mapped through Group policy) and upload jobs to it. I have tried to install Netbeui on a Windows 7 test machine (I realise that support for it was dropped donkeys years ago) and even though it installed succesfully, it will not access the routers share.

My questions for you guys are these:

1) Has anyone actually got the Netbeui protocol working with 7? (a long shot I know!)

...if not then...

2) Is there any way around this? (the only way I can think at the moment is to attach another computer running XP to the Router on a workgroup). This is messy though and would mean the CNC programmer would have to create the job for the router, load it onto say a flash pen, change computers and upload it to the router ....a complete waste of time!

Obviously I will not even consider a win 7 rollout until I have some sort of solution to this so I thank you in advance for your input!

...one more thing ...it's the weekend, a Saturday and I'm not working today so why am I still worrying about this?

Thanks again all

Dave

Re: Windows 7 ...a Netbeui problem!

Keep Virtual XP Mode in mind -- this sounds exactly what it was designed for!

And yes, its Saturday and I shouldnt be working either....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or, install and setup tcp/ip on the dos box, providing ou can still get hold of the nic drivers. and either use TCP/Ip or netBIOS with your win7 clients.

Since you are considering a client rollout to win7, it's defenitly time to consider an upgrade of the CNC box.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc750214.aspx
      Last edited by L4ndy; 6th March 2010, 12:04. Reason: Forgot to add the link before...
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks guys for the fast replies.

The machine is a beast ...it's so old that yes, it probably should have been upgraded/replaced at least a decade ago! However with budgets tight, that isnt going to happen especially for something as 'trivial' as a windows 7 deployment (at least thats what the management think anyway)!

I will have a look for NIC drivers though ...you never know! Thanks L4ndy. I cant believe I forgot about XP mode though ...grrr! It has been a long week! I shall try this as soon as I get in on Monday. Fingers crossed though if this works it clearly sounds like the way forward. Thanks Ossian

Comment

Maybe you are going to from the wrong angle. Maybe you should replace the aging CNC machine with a new one.

Or maybe have one Windows XP machine with Netbeui AND TCPIP installed, then other machines in the office can talk to the XP machine (you can use Remote Desktop or VNC onto it) and leave it just to talk to the CNC machine....

Comment

Well I came in today and took a look at the CNC machine. The chances of installing anything on the router are zero - the OS is tied up so you cant do it(although it runs on a 386 motherboard, the DOS side is completely hidden)

Having said that I then installed XP mode on my windows 7 test rig. With the smallest amount of effort it now connects flawlessly to to router. It only takes a fraction time longer than it used to from an XP mapped drive as well.

I guess problem solved!

Thanks to all who got involved

Comment

Well done, and thanks for reporting back
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to finish this off I had a talk with my boss and apparantly the user wouldnt be able to cope with a shortcut to the 'XP Mode drive' on their desktop (Why???!!)

Anyway I looked around and found away of putting a shortcut to it in My Computer. For anyone else that may be interested in it:

Most of the red bits will need to be changed.

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}]
                @="Y"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\DefaultIcon]
                @="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,9"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\InProcServer32]
                "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\Shell\Open\command]
                @="rundll32.exe VMCPropertyHandler.dll,LaunchVMSal \"Windows XP Mode\" \"||7c0e814f\" \"Upp on 'nc0001' (Y)\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\ShellFolder]
                "Attributes"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{00000110-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}]

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X