Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 Will Not Network With WinXP

Hey Folks,

I have some shared folders on a Win 7 Laptop but cannot access them from my WinXP Desktop.

Even though Win7 can access any shared folders on WinXP, I get an error message that says "ACCESS DENIED" when trying to access the shared folders on Win7.

Are there any ideas?

By the way, when I share a folder on Win7, the folder icon does not get the little hand as in WinXP.

Thanks
    Dennis

Re: Win 7 Will Not Network With WinXP

Check that the firewall is not enabled on the Windows 7 PCs or make sure that your LANs are trusted on the Win7 machine (both IPv4 and IPv6 networks).

Comment

Thanks for responding!!

Could you tell me how to check all of those things, and what ever happened to simple file sharing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ahyee View Post
        Thanks for responding!!

Could you tell me how to check all of those things, and what ever happened to simple file sharing?
        It is still there, sort of. You need to disable the SHARING Wizard.
        Also make sure you have matching a User Account and Password on each machine for Pass-Through Authentication.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Again, but could you tell me how allof that is done?

Comment

Disable the sharing wizard in Windows 7
            http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Originally posted by Biggles77
            Also make sure you have matching a User Account and Password on each machine for Pass-Through Authentication.
            What don't you understand about the quote? You need the same Username and Password on each machine.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you saying that I would need to have multiple usernames and passwords on the Win 7 computer so that multiple users can access it?

Comment

Yes!
                Well known issue with workgroups
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks!!!!
                  It Worked !!!!

I guess Microsoft did do away with the Simple Filing Sharing between a workgroup that was evident in WinXP

Thanks again folks !!!!

Comment

Well it kinda worked

Even though it worked, the next problem that when the Win7 booted, ALL of the users names showed up on the boot screen.

After much "looking around" last night, I found a users folder buried in the Documents And Settings folder on the C Drive. Any fold that is isaved in that Users folder is automatically shared on your network.

After deleting ALL of the users that I had placed on the Win7 Computer, the share still worked.

Dunno if thats the correct way but until i find Simple File Sharing, I gues this is it >

Ahyee

Comment

hi ,

just go to Control Panel then Network and Sharing Center find the Advanced sharing settings , turn off the " password protected sharing " there you go , you wont need to log-in everytime you access the shared folder on win7 machine. (dont forget to enable the " file and printer sharing ")

Comment

Working...
                      X