Updates are a pest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates are a pest

I was recently at a Microsoft Seminar where we talked about having to reboot every damn time there are necessary updates. This is unlike certain other OSs that we know of.
    MS told me that they were working on this, that they knew it was a pain.
    My question is WHEN!
    I am becoming seriously upset at having to reboot at the wrong times for work going on with numerous computers. Simply totally painful.

Something that if it isn't fixed, I shall go to another OS permanently.
    Rant over!

Re: Updates are a pest

how do you have to reboot at the wrong time ?

if your computers are downloading and installing patches in the middle of the day, and thus requiring reboots, or manual intervention to enable the reboot, then I would surmise a problem with your updating policies...

We approve patches at 4:00pm on Wednesdays, so our workstations patch and reboot at 3:00am on Thursdays. The only reason they would need to do so at any other time is if we have an emergency release.
    The exception is obviously our test bunnies, who have exclusions from the patch management so we can do it manually...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Clearly you didn't use Windows in the 9x days. Changing display resolution required a reboot in those days.

As tehcamel says there are plenty of ways to control updates and make sure they only happen when it is convenient.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Clearly you didn't use Windows in the 9x days. Changing display resolution required a reboot in those days.
        Win98 SE (or crap ME ) didn't (maybe not even Win98 ) but agree about Win95.

@ Paul. Did a Netware course many, many, many years ago and this issue came up in discussion. Story was a MS rep was trying to get a company to change from Netware to NT Server. MS rep mentioned they would need to reboot after installing Updates etc. The company tech told MS rep that due to their business environment they needed to give 3 months notice if they needed to reboot the Server!!! (Memory failure: but it may have been a steel works where computer controlled furnaces etc had to be taken offline, hence the 3 months noticed needed ) MS rep said then, over 16 years ago, that they were working on this problem.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Win98 SE (or crap ME ) didn't (maybe not even Win98 ) but agree about Win95.
          I'll take your word for it, the only one I have available to check is 98 SE. Loads of things did require reboots though, like changing certain NIC settings.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

To take Paul's post further there were 3 radio buttion options when you went to change the Display Resolution or Refresh Rate that would ask for a Reboot, no reboot and the third was a prompt for something. But as you say, everything else wanted a reboot.

I have no idea why I wasted time even answering something about Win 98. DUH!!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

MAC's also might requires reboots after patching.... Oh and Linux sometimes too...
              And eh... and even installations of some apps might require reboots today...

Anyhow, somehow rebooting seems to be a necessary evil... Usually I postpone the reboot till I go home.. Then the computer will get a shutdown command en the next day I will press the power on button again... Guess what, that's a reboot too...
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

To reply to a couple of the remarks:
                Firstlly, I only allow downloads and then check them. Usually monthly. But, MS has been having security problems, and the message that arrives tells the IT guy that this MUST BE DONE RIGHT NOW. Well, I take that with a pinch of salt, but nevertheless, these updates relate to every OS that I have using MS and that includes servers.
                There are caveats, understandably, but if MS has a major problem at that time then bang.
                I understand that some shops can wait, but not all of them, surely?
                Enough!

Comment

This is more your problem than Microsofts.

Your security should be layered so your defenses dont completely depend on how fast Microsoft responds to new security threats.

Comment

From someone who has written a few books; visit here and go to the second heading on the page; http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws1001b.htm
                    Nothing to do with layering, simply to do with emergencies.

Some people simply think they know everything, until it happens to them!
                    And, that has happened to me at times, especially with AD machines.

Comment

But still though, if you are tired of using Microsoft then I think you should switch to Linux..
                      And yes, Linux can be used in business environments...
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

And now, for your delectation, a Windows Internet Explorer 8 totally new out of context update. Apparently to do with security.
                        For all of those fools trying not to have to do this, why is this happening? Don't advise me I don't know what to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                          why is this happening?
                          Did you read about the Google hacks by the Chinese and that they were using an IE exploit? Well this is most likely part of the fix. I have just installed an out of sequence IE7 update today.

At the moment this is a part of life, live with it. I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it. Macs have updates and Linux have updates. Shit, we even have updates to the software on our phones and cars. Annoying yes, but no point raising the blood pressure over it, my stress levels are through the roof now.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X