Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W7 on 2003 domain with roaming profiles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W7 on 2003 domain with roaming profiles?

Hi all,

I'm about to put forward a business plan to the boss for 6 new cad/rendering desktops full of i7 6Gb ram goodness.

We are on a 2003 R2 domain, with Exchange 2007 (on 2008 server). All clients are currently xp pro.

However the new cad stations will likely run Win 7 x64. I also want them to utilise roaming profiles as the designers will constantly move from one station to another.

Has anyone experienceed any issues with:
    a) W7 on 2003 domains
    b) roaming profiles used in this way

I know a lot of folk don't like roaming profiles, but adding the same local profiles to each station is not practical.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Re: W7 on 2003 domain with roaming profiles?

We have several Win 7 machines on a 2K3 domain at present, no issues that I'm particularly having problems with. One thing is printer drivers - there's no Win 7 option on the server so they usually have to be installed locally but that's no biggie.

Roaming profiles are a different matter though. IME they never work properly, greatly slow down logons, and inevitably corrupt over time. My suggestion would be to use a mandatory user profile for these machines (so that each machine has the same user experience) combined with My Documents re-direction. With roaming profiles and user's inevitable habits of saving things on the desktop you just end up with huge profiles, slow logon/logoff and frustrated users.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi cruachan, thanks for the reply.
      Yeah, that was my fear with roaming profiles. It tends to be the women who put silly things on their desktops.
      When having issues, one of our female TS users still refers to her local desktop as "my flowers screen" because it has a picture of flowers as the background screen. She doesn't even know how to describe her TS desktop.

Thing is, having one common profile negates "my docs" redirection, because they won't be personal/private to any one user. But i do understand the potential complications with roaming profiles.

Will ponder a little methinks.....

Comment

I think it's possible to redirect My Docs with Mandatory profiles, never really looked into it. The other option is to re-direct the desktop and/or favourites and also deny access to the desktop through GPOs to stop people saving 10gb of mp3s from their iPods to it, as was the usual culprit for me! Couple of options here.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

As was mentioned above about printers, make sure that any printers or plotters that you use have Windows 7 drivers. This has been the biggest issue I have had with Windows 7, lack of Print Drivers.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X