Windows 7 / Server 2003 / GP question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 / Server 2003 / GP question

I just rolled out the first Windows 7 computer in our Server 2003 / XP domain. I'm using GP's for folder redirection (My Documents folder to a shared network drive on server). Windows 7 didn't pick it up - it appears there are some differences between XP and 7.

I must be dumb, but I have not yet found out how to create, edit, and manage Windows 7 policies from a Server 2003 platform. Can anyone slap me and point me in the right direction?

Re: Windows 7 / Server 2003 / GP question

Can't remember if this was all I had to do, but there are compatibility updates for SBS Vista and 7 support here.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow - but not sure if it will apply as my server is 2003 Standard (not SBS).

Comment

For Vista and Win7 clients, try to create a new GPO for redirecting folder policies using the relevant RSAT tools.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          For Vista and Win7 clients, try to create a new GPO for redirecting folder policies using the relevant RSAT tools.
          The only reason that I can get away with this is because I happen to be the user of the only Windows 7 computer in our domain. All other computers use XP. I'm currently downloading RSAT because that's the only option I can see, but not really what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the feedback. If there are any other suggestions/solutions please let me know.

Comment

I could be wrong but how is the RSAT going to help you manage a Windows 7 machine via Group Policy in a W2K3 domain? AFAIK, the RSAT isn't going to upgrade your Group Policy infrastructure and there aren't any Windows 7 specific settings in your W2K3 Group Policy infrastructure.

Am I off track?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              I could be wrong but how is the RSAT going to help you manage a Windows 7 machine via Group Policy in a W2K3 domain? AFAIK, the RSAT isn't going to upgrade your Group Policy infrastructure and there aren't any Windows 7 specific settings in your W2K3 Group Policy infrastructure.

Am I off track?
              Well, depends
              To use the advanced options, you will need RSAT on/for Windows7, even in a Win2k3 domain. Nevertheless, most (if not all) these options will not be triggered by XP computers. One needs to look for "Applies to:..." entry on every setting...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Try running Group Policy Modeling and Group Policy Results wizards from your Win7 box and see what GPO's get applied and which one is a winning one.

Also when you right click on Documents folder on your Win7 machine and go to Properies then Location tab does it have the correct path there?

FYI... I am running Win7 Pro machine in our mixed 2003K/2008K domain environment and redirection is working fine, and GPO that I am using for folder redirection I had configured using GPMC.
                Last edited by John777; 21st January 2010, 05:22. Reason: corrected domain names
                Regards,
                John

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys - it's now working...

I installed RSAT on my computer, then went in to Control Panel and added the Group Policy Manager. As soon as that was installed, I opened it - it was already populated with all my 2003 policies...awesome!

I created and linked a policy for only myself (I'm currently the only one running Windows 7) to redirect the Documents folder. I checked the box to apply the redirection policy to Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 OS's. Then went over to the server via RDP, opened up Group Policy Manager on it - saw my Win7 policy there - great!. Ran a gpupdate /force command from the server, then rebooted my laptop....no change. Double checked the settings - then ran a gpupdate /force from my laptop - got a prompt saying I needed to log of. I did, logged on again, no change... So I rebooted my laptop, logged in, and presto! Folder now syncing with network share on the server.

What gets me though, is poor pity the guy that has XP and Server 2003, but has to support Windows 7 clients without having access to a Windows 7 or Vista computer...seems very strange to me that MS wouldn't make a compatibility tool or something. Either way, it's working for me and I'm happy!

Thanks again

Comment

Glad it's working for you mate, thanks for posting back with the results.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                    X