Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow users to install software...

Hi,
    We are currently moving our domain PC's to Win7 and i was wondering/hoping there might be a way that i can create something like a file share that is populated by myself with software allowed by our corporation, and then allow users to install any of these.

I dont really want to have to get users to ask everytime they want something installed. I believe that they should have the freedom to install an applicaiton if they need it (on the proviso that it has been approved).

I know i can push out software though GPO/SMS but i hoped that i could leave it up to the user to install.

I would still like to restrict the from installing anything they find on the internet or bring in to work from home. but also allow them some freedom.

Does anyone know of a way i could achive this?

Thanks

Re: Allow users to install software...

Leaving up to the user to install software is really asking for trouble. What you should try to do is install/select all the software that is required and then deploy it onto the workstations. Windows Servers 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2 all have this ability.

What Server operating system are you using and is your network a Workgroup or a Domain?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You can use GPOs, but publish rather than assign the applications, so that users can only install the ones they need/want. Giving users admin rights is not going to end well unless you like all of your users running iTunes and picking whichever browser they fancy.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I currently have a 2003 Domain.

I agree giving users admin rights will end in tears for all.
        Thats why i was hoping to be able to setup a file share on the network and somehow give them access to install anything they like from just that share. Deffinately nowhere else.

My end vision is to be able to let users feel like they have some control over their machines, keep the machines as lean as they can be and keep the management of the network easy for all.

Thanks for the idea but i have already thought of pushing out the software via GPO but i didnt want to install on everyones machine if they ddint need it. Keeping the machines lean.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by memphisraynz View Post
          Thanks for the idea but i have already thought of pushing out the software via GPO but i didnt want to install on everyones machine if they ddint need it. Keeping the machines lean.

Thanks guys
          Sorry, maybe I didn't phrase my last post correctly. You have 2 options when configuring software policies via GPO. One is "Assigned" which means that every user/computer that the GPO is linked to gets the software. The other is "Published" which means that the linked users/computers can go into add/remove programs on their machines and choose to install applications from the list that you Publish in Active Directory.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

you mentioned that you SMS too -- so if you want you can advertise the programs in SMS ... whenever clients need it - they will install it ....

what cruachan said is also an option u have with u ...

Comment

Everyone,
              Thank you for your ideas. cruachan your idea of publishing software is very close to what i am after. And i think its going to be as close as i can get.

To be honest i didnt realise it was an option. I knew about pushing out software via GPO's but not publishing so others can choose.

Again thank you all.
              Im sure this will improve IT relations in the company, im sure you all face this issue.
              Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X