Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 to Windows 7 connetion via workgroup

Hello,

i have a windows 7( Proffesional edt) desktop and a laptop windows 7 ( Home Premium) i can access the desktop from the laptop other my network( workgroup) i want to access the laptop from the desktop i select it on the network tab on the desktop and then it asks for my user which for this example is User001 but it has no password so what do i put as the password ?

Any ideas ?

Ajw901

Re: Windows 7 to Windows 7 connetion via workgroup

RDP doesn't work without a password, and as far as I know connecting via RDP to Home editions is not possible as this functionality is only in Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

if i click on the pc in explorer under network to see the files for some home sharing it asks for a password again like RDP however becuase it doesnt have an password i leave it blank and it wont accept it, i try a password like "administrator" or the users username it stil wont allow me in.

is there a genric password which will let me in ? or do i have to configure something ?

Ajw901

Comment

Have you enabled file sharing? Are the 2 machines in the same workgroup, by default Pro class systems use WORKGROUP but the Home OS's often use MSHOME as the default workgroup name. What are the permissions on the share you are trying to access?
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

hello,

they are both in the same workgroup, they both have file sharing on the permissons are the same. i can access data on the desktop from the laptop and RPD to it becasue the desktop has got a password.

Ajw901

Comment

Both computers have their own username/password "Database" (it has been that way since Windows for Workgroups) so to reach one from the other you must have matching username/password to connect or know what the other computer needs. If they are the same they use what is known as PTA or passthrough authentication. You could also try computer1\username instead of just username when you try to connect.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks to all the help. what i did is:

1. add a new user on the laptop called user001 which matched the username on the desktop.

2. made the pasword the same on both machines.

3. restarted the machine

4. logged into laptop as admin

5. changed the registry and hid the user (user001) on the laptop.

6. made sure i could access the laptop from the desktop and worked !

thanks for all the help

Ajw901.

Comment

Working...
              X