high memory usage in windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high memory usage in windows 7

Hi there, I've installed windows 7 few days ago. I have a 4gig of ram (usable 3) as the system detail shows. problem is the high memory usage.

If i open 4 to 5 programs one of my progs shuts down and gives me a msg that "Program Y cannot run due to high memory"

then I start doing some testing, turned off some services & programs that are on the startup. Still the same, now if I just open my computer its at 800MB memory usage without even opening anything, with only Firefox on I am at 1gig memory usage.

I will put screenshots if you guys want, I have no idea whats causing this problem.

i'll post some screenshots from my windows task manager, maybe it'll help.

the only thing i'm asking, is this normal? Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: high memory usage in windows 7

Nope, that looks like normal RAM usage for Windows 7. I would be inclined to have a look at the settings for the Page File. Take a screenshot of that and post it here.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. I wasn't really sure what Pagefile was. I did a little of research and found how to open the settings (if i'm right hopefully)

correct me if I was in the wrong place, or if you need a screenshot of something else.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice job finding out about the Page File and posting the screen shots!!

Maybe you could try changing the management of the Page File.
        Remove the tick from "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
        Select "Custom size:" and enter 4500 in the "Initial size (MB) and 7500 in the "Maximum size (MB)" boxes.
        Click Set then OK, OK, OK etc and reboot when back at the Desktop. Once you have logged back on see how it all runs then and post back with the result.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

IMHO set page file Min and Max sizes the same
          Defrag your drive first and this will give a single, unfragmented page file
          If you have a variable one, you will end up with fragmentation and reduced performance when it resizes "on the fly"
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dr Jones is right. Set the Min and Max to the same, 4025MB and see how that runs. The 1.5/2.5 RAM setting would not work on you machine. I saw 4MB RAM but not the 3MB usable.

Tom, Reckoner is having a memory/Pagefile issue. I think it is more important to sort that out first and then the performance issue can be addressed.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Agreed -- didnt read first few posts properly

Is this Win7 32 bit or 64 bit? and on what processor?

The 800 Mb core usage sounds about right, though
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Missed the version clue myself (hence the excessive Page numbers). "4gig of ram (usable 3)" (1st line, 1st post) so I assume that it is the 32 bit version.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X