Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to convert Dynamic disk in to Basic disk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert Dynamic disk in to Basic disk?

Hello,

Yesterday tried to shrink D:/ drive of windows 7 for linux installation. Win 7 gave warning saying this operation will convert all partitions to dynamic and OS may fail to boot. it destroyed OpenSolaris bootloader which I was using & win 7 as secondary.

I have now reinstalled Win 7 with its own boot loader. But in Disk Management it still shows my Disk 0 of laptop as dynamic and all partitions labled as dynamic with golden colour line. How can I convert my disk and partition to basic without formatting? I tried googling & Microsoft's long document which doesnt help much.

Any easier help/command ?

Regards,
    AmeY.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: How to convert Dynamic disk in to Basic disk?

According to Microsoft, there is only one way to convert Dynamic to Basic:
    Backup your data
    Delete all volumes on the disk
    Convert
    Create partitions
    Restore data

I dont think the OS will survive

Partition Magic used to do it, but that was back in XP days so I dont know if it still can
    You could also read this thread (old but may be still valid):
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=3844

Note I take no responsibility for anything you may try or data loss you may suffer as a result
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for quick reply.

I tried Acronis. But when I run that software it said some disk management is already running. I was unable to find disk management service in services.msc

I had to format my whole HDD.
      And more funiest part, new installation of Windows 7 denied to delete those dynamic volumes on HDD to make my HDD blank.

I had to destroy all partitions using Debian installer. I installed Debian linux which crashed down those dynamic partition.

Later on I re ran the Windows 7 installer and it allowed me to delete ext3 & swap partition.

Kind of funny..Windows 7 disk manager while installing OS should be able to destroy dynamic partitions.

Regards,
      Amey.
      All in 1

Comment

yea, i've gotta be honest. I'm really confused about what you are trying to acheive, and how u are going about it,.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          yea, i've gotta be honest. I'm really confused about what you are trying to acheive, and how u are going about it,.
          Ok here is some brief info >

I have 1 laptop having 160 gb SATA HDD In it.

total slices > 2 windows NTFS drive, 2 drives for OpenSolaris i. ZFS & swap = 4 partitions/slices

I shrink D:/ drive of windows to get 10 gb free space for OpenSuSe Linux installation.
          While formatting newly shrinked 10 gb partition Windows 7 showed warning message saying formatting this partition will convert all partitions & disk itself to Dynamic disk & no OS will boot. YEs i assumed that because boot loader was GRUB.

But when tried to install SuSe it failed to install boot loader in to dynamic disk.

I decided to format whole HDD after taking opinion from osain & from suse forum.

But again while re instlaling Windows 7, it rejected to format any NTFS slice as its in dynamic disk mode. Some how I managed to re write Windows 7 on existing dynamic disk. Installed AcRnois. But it denied to convert dynamic disk in to basic disk.

Then I had to destroy all partitions by installing linuxware & then install fresh Windows 7 which allowed me to delete linux partitions.

At initial stage my goal was while keeping existing 4 paritions, create 1 more partition to install linux which failed.

I hope this explains.

Regards,
          AmeY.
          Last edited by sco1984; 13th December 2009, 02:18.
          All in 1

Comment

Working...
          X