Windows 7 64bit Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 64bit Drivers

Does anyone know if Windows 7 64bit will use the Windows Vista 64bit drivers?

Basically, i am planning on upgrading to Windows 7 in the coming weeks... but the drivers for my Wireless Network Adapters (USB and PCI) arn't released for Windows 7 (and according to Belkin, they do not plan on releasing any).

So i was going to use the Windows Vista 64bit drivers for those Network Adapters... but apparantly Windows 7 prevents installing Windows Vista drivers in the 64bit edition (according to what i read).

Cheers in advance!

Re: Windows 7 64bit Drivers

Leaving aside my own prejudices about Belkin network devices (barely fit to be used as paper weights) I'm running x64 Windows 7 on a couple of machines and haven't had any issues using Vista drivers. I've used a few and they've all worked natively without having to be installed in compatibility mode.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      Leaving aside my own prejudices about Belkin network devices (barely fit to be used as paper weights) I'm running x64 Windows 7 on a couple of machines and haven't had any issues using Vista drivers. I've used a few and they've all worked natively without having to be installed in compatibility mode.
      Well if they wasn't going to work, i was planning on scrapping them and getting something new

What Network Devices do you personally prefer?

I have tried Netgear and Belkin, both seem to be terrible.

Comment

Straying a little from topic, let's hope the mods are all sleeping.

I generally prefer Intel network cards, both wireless and wired. Broadcom NICs are also good, but their software is a PITA especially on 2K3. All that Scalable Networking crap just causes issues.

Netgear I've found are a bit like Symantec, in that their SOHO products are every bit as bad as their Enterprise ones are good. The Netgear Prosafe stuff is very good for it's price IME. I've never had any issues with Linksys, although some people here have, likewise D-Link has always worked OK for me.

One very big advantage to Intel kit (getting back on topic ) is that their driver support is always very good given how popular their cards and chipsets are.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Sent you a PM instead of taking it further off topic

Comment

gonna just echo cruan's point here. I've used a bunch of Vista drivers natively to 7 without any issues. But as usual not all of them may work.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan
              Straying a little from topic, let's hope the mods are all sleeping.
              Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally posted by rsnooks
              Sent you a PM instead of taking it further off topic
              Would actually prefer this discussion to stay in the Forums so everyone can share in this information because this is what the Petri IT Knowledgebase is about. If necessary the thread can be split at a later date and moved to a more appropriate location.

Thanks.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X