Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

move multiple files with a keyword into one folder.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• move multiple files with a keyword into one folder.

Hi

I have a folder which has lots of IT ebooks in a range of pdf, doc, chm files (approx 1000) and I just want to sort all the files and move them into a particular folder so it easier for me to find what I am looking for.

For example I may have about 40 different ebooks on SQL but they all wont be under the S section they will be all over the place with various different files names but will have SQL somewhere in there. I need a tool to be able to look in a folder, I then input a keyword such as 'sql' and then it looks through the whole directory and marks/identifies which files have SQL in the filename. I can then select these and move these into a folder called SQL etc etc.

I have looked to see if windows explorer could do this or even dos but am struggling to find a solution.

I am using Windows 7.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: move multiple files with a keyword into one folder.

The Search Documents field in the top right of the Explorer window gives the facility to search for any string in a file name.

I search whole shares on my server this way - a great facility.

HTH

Bryan

Comment

Re: move multiple files with a keyword into one folder.

dir /s *keyword*
      copy *keyword* <destination>

Hm ... doesnt seem hard or am I forgetting something ?
      Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

Working...
      X