Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 or 64 bit

Hi.

i'm planning to buy a new p.c with i7 proccesor.

i undrstand that all of them r 64bit/
    I know about the 4 giga memory issu.

I'm afraid i'll have drivers and software issus with that.

i know about the xp mode and i think that if i have some compatability issus i can use the xp mode for that?

what do you think?
    Thanx
    MCP, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003

Re: 32 or 64 bit

I think I'm correct in saying that the retail versions of Windows 7 all ship with both 32 and 64-bit discs and that your SKU is good for either of these so the decision of which to buy is no longer an issue. You can try 64-bit and if you have issues switch back to 32.

I'm using 64-bit on my PC (a standard HP desktop) and have had to be a bit creative to get a few things working, but no massive issues yet.

Comment

I would say 64-bit. I think during Win 7's lifetime we'll see a push to 64-bit only and more and more apps will be 64-bit. I haven't had any issues getting 32-bit software working on Win 7 so far, and XP mode is always there as a last resort as you said. The compatibility options have been enough for me so far though.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm planning to buy an oem version not retail.
        the retail version is more expansive.
        Last edited by asi; 14th October 2009, 19:54.

Comment

I've been using Win7 x64 since beta and I haven't had any problems with drivers (x64 Vista drivers work). If you have old hardware without an x64 driver then install the x86 version to be safe.

32 bit applications run perfectly.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I've been using Windows 7 64-bit for a few months with no issues that I can directly trace to being 64 bit. Video drivers, printer drivers... everything works. I have the fortune of having mostly new equipment in my house though. Can't give the perspective from using 64-bit in a corporate environment though.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
              I've been using Win7 x64 since beta and I haven't had any problems with drivers (x64 Vista drivers work). If you have old hardware without an x64 driver then install the x86 version to be safe.

32 bit applications run perfectly.

I concur. I have been running Windows 7 since the beta and have had 0 issues with drivers/compatibility.

Comment

Only had my hard disk controller driver missing and no replacement was to be found anywhere. The Action Center notified me that it was available a couple of weeks later. Not too shabby!
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Been running x64 Ultimate since technet released it. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. Even my 5 year old HP colour laser printer was recognised and win7 loaded the appropriate drivers for it.
                  I'm well happy with win7.

Comment

I personally dont think its worth looking at 32bit now, I dont think theres anything to worry about going to 64bit. A lot of people haven't had major issues but then it depends on what you run on it.

Also think for the future, if you plan to add more memory if its over 4gb a 32 bit system will not be able to make use of it as a 32 bit machine cannot see memory over 4gb and they always say a simple upgrade to a PC, the first place you would like to this would be on the memory.

Comment

Thanx for all the replies.

You got me convinced.
                      i got my self win 7 ultimate 64 bit and also an i7 proccesor with 4 gigs of ram.

Thanx.

Comment

Asi,
                        To learn more about Windows XP mode and how it could benefit you, please go to the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...indows-xp-mode
                        Jessica
                        Microsoft Windows Client Team
                        Last edited by Wired; 23rd October 2009, 02:26. Reason: replaced with direct MS link

Comment

64 bit especially since MS is already looking at 128 bit version of Windows 8 and 9
                          http://news.softpedia.com/news/128-b...t-123691.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by JessicaD View Post
                            Asi,
                            To learn more about Windows XP mode and how it could benefit you, please go to the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...indows-xp-mode
                            Jessica
                            Microsoft Windows Client Team
                            Is it just me or do other also not like links like the above. It is so easy to direct you to a nasty place since the full URL is not used.
                            Last edited by Wired; 23rd October 2009, 02:27. Reason: replaced with direct link
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Concur. Surely Microsoft would be able to post direct links to their own products!
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X