Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profiles Problem - Server 2003

hello.

i have a windows 7 rtm machine in an windows 2003 server domain with roaming profiles. it works ok with all the xp clients, but the windows 7 machine wont use the roaming profile. there is a folder on the network drive with the .v2 ending for the user i try to use, and the user is the owner of the folder.
    i keep getting the userenv 1521 error (canīt find profile - my message is in german, so perhaps the english one is a bit different).
    I can access the folder without problems when logged in as the user.

Has anyone expirienced similar problems and knows what to do?

thanks

/edit: i did forget to mention the main problem, after getting the 1521 profile not found error, the user gets a temporary profile.
    Last edited by chewbakka; 5th October 2009, 11:14.

Re: Roaming profiles Problem - Server 2003

Windows XP profiles and Windows Vista\7 profiles are not compatible and not interchangeable. A roaming profile for a user running Windows XP will not be used by the same user running Windows Vista or Windows 7. You'll need to create new profiles for your Vista\7 users. You can redirect some of the profile components (App Data, etc.) that can be shared by both profiles.

Comment

..Or you could use two roaming profiles for each user, One for XP and the other one .v2 for Vista Win7.
      Have a look at this whitepaper for such configuration: http://www.vistapcguy.net/?p=45
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hello,

as i tried to point out in my first post, there is a username.v2 profile folder on the network share. the user is the owner of the folder,
        it was created by windows 7 not by me. But it wonīt save anything or load anything from the profile.

Comment

Yes, the .V2 profile is the Windows 7 user profile. Windows XP = V1 (version 1), Windows Vista\7 = V2 (version 2). Is the V2 profile being created in the same location as the other roaming profiles?

Comment

yes, itīs in the same folder as the other profiles.

\\server\share\%username% is how the share is linked in the AD.

Comment

[Solved]Re: Roaming profiles Problem - Server 2003

Hi all,

now i got it working, pointing in AD directly to the folder

\\server\share\username.V2

which is what i thought exactly the way not to do it.

hmm.

thanks for trying to help.

Comment

Re: [Solved]Re: Roaming profiles Problem - Server 2003

Originally posted by chewbakka View Post
                Hi all,

now i got it working, pointing in AD directly to the folder

\\server\share\username.V2

which is what i thought exactly the way not to do it.

hmm.

thanks for trying to help.
                Hmm,
                So you don't need interoparabilility between Xp and Vista/Win7 then?
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: [Solved]Re: Roaming profiles Problem - Server 2003

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                  Hmm,
                  So you don't need interoparabilility between Xp and Vista/Win7 then?
                  would be nice, but better no interoparability than always a temp profile.

Comment

It can be done if you check the whitepaper i mentioned in my previous post.
                    Also, how are the users going to use their roaming profile from an XP machine if you specify the .v2 in the profile tab?
                    Also have a look at this specifically for Win 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi,

at the moment we only have one Windows 7 user with a specific machine, so now there is no big problem with interoparability. But after reading throuch the guide it does not seem to help me with my problem, the w7 doesnīt recognize the .V2 folder, when putting %username% in the AD properties of the user.
                      Last edited by chewbakka; 6th October 2009, 13:49.

Comment

Originally posted by chewbakka View Post
                        Hi,

at the moment we only have one Windows 7 user with a specific machine, so now there is no big problem with interoparability. But after reading throuch the guide it does not seem to help me with my problem, the w7 doesnīt recognize the .V2 folder, when putting %username% in the AD properties of the user.
                        If I recall correctly, you use \\share\username\ and then it will use the .v2 folder automatically. For instance, you don't use \share\username\username.v2

Comment

Working...
                        X