Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log On Delay

Hi,

When I log on to Windows 7 (ultimate, domain client) it takes maybe 2 minutes from CONTROL /ALT/DELETE to desktop but only if I C/A/D immediately after boot (if I wait a few minutes, say I'm doing something else) then log on can be very rapid so presumably something is taking some time to run but runs before or after logon. This is a relatively recent effect (didn't occur because of being on a Windows 2003 domain and wasn't solved when migrated to a Windows 2008 domain).

The nearest thing I can liken it to is when I installed VMWare server on my XP system ... there were about 5 services involved and it took nearly 2 minutes to log on but I don't have VMWare on the system.

Now I realise that people are unlikely to be able to help me without information (nor I to help myself) but can anyone suggest a way of tracking whatever it is that's causing the delay since I'm effectively locked out of the machine until I get to desktop.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Log On Delay

In Group Policy, are computers configured to wait for the network at startup? If not, it could be that you're trying to logon before the computer's network connection is established.

Anything in the event logs?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Log On Delay

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      In Group Policy, are computers configured to wait for the network at startup? If not, it could be that you're trying to logon before the computer's network connection is established.

Anything in the event logs?
      Nothing in the event log that stands out and I doubt it is the network connection because it didn't use to happen (it used to log on quickly).

Well at least I only have to wait another month as I've pre-ordered Win 7 which means that I should have an early (non-beta) copy in my hands real soon and plan to rebuild my system, over a three disk array then ... still it would be nice to know what's causing it.

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X