Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making "My Documents" A Network Share

Hi,

I'm having problems making my "My Documents" folder a network share, in XP this was easy (just change the properties of "My Documents") but now it seems really hard. When I try to add that network share (on a Win 2003 server) I get an error message about the locastion not being indexed the suggested solution for which is to use Offline Files and I am loathe to do this firstly because I see no point (this is a desktop system, it isn't going anywhere and the documents are my sole location for docs so why use a system that was apparently designed for portable access) and secondly because I really hate "Offline Files" and have gone to significant lengths to avoid their use for some time now.

What I am after doesn't see so hard ... I just want my Docs, by default, to be a network share. Is that so hard?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Making "My Documents" A Network Share

I'm confused... this is the Windows 7 forum, but your post suggests you're running Windows Server 2003...

Which OS are you trying to create this share under?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
      Hi,

I'm having problems making my "My Documents" folder a network share, in XP this was easy (just change the properties of "My Documents") but now it seems really hard. When I try to add that network share (on a Win 2003 server) I get an error message about the locastion not being indexed the suggested solution for which is to use Offline Files and I am loathe to do this firstly because I see no point (this is a desktop system, it isn't going anywhere and the documents are my sole location for docs so why use a system that was apparently designed for portable access) and secondly because I really hate "Offline Files" and have gone to significant lengths to avoid their use for some time now.

What I am after doesn't see so hard ... I just want my Docs, by default, to be a network share. Is that so hard?

Kyu
      Why not use folder re-direction and then give access to whoever needs it on the share where you re-direct the "My-Docs" folder?

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        I'm confused... this is the Windows 7 forum, but your post suggests you're running Windows Server 2003...

Which OS are you trying to create this share under?
        The share is on a Windows 2003 server but this is almost an aside ... I suppose it could be any network share (in my case it's a domain share). The client is Windows 7 and what I am asking about is customising the Windows 7 "My Documents) shortcut to *point to&* the server 2003 share ... it can be easily done under Windows XP, feels a bit more difficult under Vista and seems damned near impossible under Win 7.

Kyu

Comment

Originally posted by IceNine View Post
          Why not use folder re-direction and then give access to whoever needs it on the share where you re-direct the "My-Docs" folder?
          How do you do that?

If that is using the add location thing then I can't because it tells me the location is not indexed and suggests that the way to do this is using "Offline Files" which is near pointless as far as I'm concerned given that it's a fixed PC and its document setting will always be the same.

Kyu

Comment

Ok, you do that using Folder Redirection under the User settings in Group Policy.

Please remember to ask questions clearly, as your first post asks a completely different question...

Folder Redirection for the My Documents folder works fine for XP, Vista and 7 clients (possibly also 2000 clients) when I've setup the GPO using 2003 or 2008 DCs.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok, you do that using Folder Redirection under the User settings in Group Policy.
              Ah GP! I'm a bit fuzzy when it comes to GP but I'll figure it.

Please remember to ask questions clearly, as your first post asks a completely different question...
              Personally I don't read it that way but hey, we all different

Folder Redirection for the My Documents folder works fine for XP, Vista and 7 clients (possibly also 2000 clients) when I've setup the GPO using 2003 or 2008 DCs.
              Thanks ... I'll figure out how

Kyu

Comment

Working...
              X