Cisco VPN client on Windows 7 64-bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco VPN client on Windows 7 64-bit

Has anyone had luck with installing the Cisco VPN client on Win7 64-bit?

We use a Cisco ASA 5505 and the Cisco VPN client. This client will not install on Win7-64bit as far as I can tell...

Cisco tries to force people to buy the AnyConnect VPN solution, but I dont want to (And neither does by company)

So... any experiences, tips or solutions?
    Greetings from
    Petter C.
    Norway

Re: Cisco VPN client on Windows 7 64-bit

No luck with installing and running under compatibility mode or trying it in virtual XP?

This thread from a few months back also contains some useful info/links.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Cisco VPN clients (up to v5) do not, under any circumstances, work under any 64bit operating system. Cisco have outright said they do not intend to develop this client for x64.

Check my thread on xpm+x64+cisco-vpn - you need to run it through the WindowsXPMode.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have installed the client in XP-mode and still get problems. Cut/Paste from the log:

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.00.0340
        Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
        Client Type(s): Windows, WinNT
        Running on: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
        Config file directory: C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\

1 09:08:58.773 09/07/09 Sev=Warning/2 CVPND/0xE3400013
        AddRoute failed to add a route: code 87
        Destination 192.168.131.255
        Netmask 255.255.255.255
        Gateway 192.168.82.1
        Interface 192.168.82.211

2 09:08:58.773 09/07/09 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xA3100024
        Unable to add route. Network: c0a883ff, Netmask: ffffffff, Interface: c0a852d3, Gateway: c0a85201.

The client connects, asks for password and it authenticates ok. I can see on the ASA 5505 that it authenticates ok. Problem is that I dont get any VPN-connections under Network connections, and if I do a IPCONFIG i get no Cisco VPN connection... As you see from the log, the VPN client gets an IP-adress, but I cant see this IP in Windows.

Suggestions? I would hate to roll-back to XP just because I cant get the VPN-client to work
        Greetings from
        Petter C.
        Norway

Comment

in your XPM virtual - did you install the cisco application as administrator, and reboot afterwards ?

Are you using nat, or direct network connection for the virtual ?
          (I must admit i'm not sure where you'd configure that..)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, I installed as admin and rebooted.

Not sure what you mean by using NAT og direct network connection for the viritual?
            Greetings from
            Petter C.
            Norway

Comment

there a client for 64bit system and other operation systsms (been in use for years) not sure why you guys say there is NOT. cisco anyconnect vpn client 2.4 support windows 7 32 and 64 sersions.

Comment

that's true - AnyConnect does x64 OS. however, for some of us who don't have ASAs and the newer generation equipment, we're stuck.

Unless i want to spend time rebuilding our routers, and reconfiguring and testing, we're staying with the VPNClient v5. I don't have a test router to piss around with configs on.

Comment

Tocar,

You should check out NCP engineering- they have a universal VPN client which also works with Windows 7 64-bit.

Here is the data sheet for more info, http://vpnhaus.files.wordpress.com/2...nt_windows.pdf

People find the client easy to configure and use. Hope this helps-- good luck with your search.
                  Last edited by VPN Haus; 30th September 2009, 16:10. Reason: typo

Comment

I looked at the NCP option... However, at the cost per user, it's not something I'd get past the boss, when we have what is essentially a free solution with XPM

Comment

Working...
                    X