win7+xpm+vpn+rdp = win.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win7+xpm+vpn+rdp = win.

Alright so... because of what we do, we're required to run multiple different VPN stacks for different clients. Makes building and maintaining an image pretty ccrap, when you nede to use CiscoVPNClient, SafenetVPN client, Checkpoint VPN client, etc.
    Need scripts to stop and start services, shit like that.

anyway, I'm working on a win7 build. With XPM, which, by the way, I think is fantastic.

Here's one of the first issues I found. Cisco do not produce their VPNClient (ipsecclient, not easyvpn or whatever it is) for x64, and have outright said "no, we won't be."
    So my first task, is getting it to run on a 64bit os.

Along comes windows XPM. So I installed that.. tried to install Cisco client.. "sorry, you can't do this via remote desktop"

Bugger.
    So I copied over an existing VPC client, with cisco already installed.
    Works, fantastic.
    Installed the integration tools.
    Works. fantastic.
    Installed the RemoteApp publisher tool.
    Works. fantastic.
    Cisco VPN is published. Fantastic.
    Can run cisco VPN from the host via the guest. Connec.ts
    Works. Fantastic.
    Oh wait. it doens't route the traffic.. fair enough. I just need to run MSTSC on the XPM.
    Trouble.

eventually, I found the reg key: hklm\Software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\virtual machine\vpcvappexcludelist
    (ON THE GUEST)

In this list, is pretty much every single MS app. all the common ones are excluded.
    Removed MSTSC, rebooted the guest, voila! I can now run VPN via the XPM, AND mstsc via the vpn.

I'm quite pleased now. And excited. I hope this can be of some benefit to others as well.
    Now.. only another 30 applications to verify.

(My source for the Regkey came from WithinWindows)
    Last edited by tehcamel; 25th August 2009, 02:19.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: win7+xpm+vpn+rdp = win.

Thanks for posting it dude..
    Good to have as a reference, as I'm trying to convince my office to move to 7 when we can get it..

DJ
    Daniel John
    A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      shithouse...shit..Bugger
      While I'm not a mod, may I please respectfully suggest going easy on the language in case somebody might take offence

Originally posted by Forum rule 7
      Try to avoid offensive words
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Great tip tehcamel! You get my points for it! This will surely turn into an article on my site.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

awesome tip dude. i had this exact same issue from home this morning. did not have time to research how to run MSTSC from the guest. shouldn't have to open the virtual box now at all. LOVE IT!

+REP

Comment

glad this helped someone else out

I obviously found out that you aren't restricted to using the XPM virtual machine they provided.. so now my build will contain 3 XP VMs with the VPN stack on each.. the integration tools, and a couple of other essentials, as well as the registry hack..
            Then sit it on top of the Windows 7 build.

I got asked the other day why I'm spending so much time on this.. my answer ? "Because I don't think I'll get it delivered by the time line.."

Gotta work out how to inject drivers into a ghost image for multiples of machines... We've only got 2 classes really.. but it's not something I've ever done.
            Last edited by tehcamel; 25th August 2009, 02:41.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

All hail XPM mode.

Jordan
              Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
              (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                glad this helped someone else out

I obviously found out that you aren't restricted to using the XPM virtual machine they provided.. so now my build will contain 3 XP VMs with the VPN stack on each.. the integration tools, and a couple of other essentials, as well as the registry hack.
                hmm, did they change that in RTM. because when i tried installing a "clean" XP from scratch, i could not get XPM to work. Integration tools worked but i could not publish any apps from it. unless there's a workaround i might've missed.

Comment

What was occuring?
                  Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
                  (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

actually.. i now have an issue getting the integration tools to install !

Comment

Working...
                    X