Windows 7 and Old Printers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 and Old Printers

If you have old or oldish printers 4+ years, do not install Windows 7 until you find out for certain that you can get print drivers for them. Having awful problems with 64bit drivers for 2 different drivers. Not even the Vista drivers work. Wonder if XPMode will fix this issue but it is still in RC version.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Windows 7 and Old Printers

Is this locally connected or via a server shared printer?
    And what are the models (name and shame)?

Since printers normally have a longer shelf life than other hardware, this is not good news!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned that - the printers were the one thing I forgot to test when I was evaluating Windows 7 in the office.

Oddly when Vista came out I was using a USB Lexmark inkjet, and there were no drivers for it in Vista. I went back to using a (much older) Parallel port Canon BubbleJet which I am still using to this day.

Might be a good idea to have a thread or a sticky with incompatible hardware listed in it as a resource for others though?
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Lexmark T522 (network) and several other Lexmark models though I didn't make a note of them since they were not my target and Samsung CLP 500.

XPMode will hopefully negate the need for me to run an XP Virtual so I can print to these printers. Other option is to return the laptop to XP and while I would really like to do that, I have to leave it with Windows 7.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It will probably depend in part on which manufacturer the printers come from - as we all know, some manufacturers (eg Canon) look after their customers a lot better than some others (nameless but I'm sure you can guess )
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I will be happy to test and report back on the following three printers for both x64 and x32 versions:

Brother HL1850.
            Fuji Xerox Docucentre C240
            Canon MX850 fax/printer/scanner/copier

all are network attached....
            the C240 in particular will be interesting cause it's a key-coded one
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The Brother model should be fine, although I'm not familiar with that particular one or its age...
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Just tested our 2 and both are working. HP P2015DN (Network, shared from a 2003 server) and a Canon MP210 shared from an XP Desktop.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Got a reply from Lexmark.
                  Originally posted by Lexmark Support
                  Dear Chris,

We apologize to inform you that Lexmark does not have supported drivers that works with Windows 7. Windows 7 is soon to be released and Lexmark will provide the drivers when it is officially launched. You may always check our website for driver updates for Windows 7.

Please contact us if your problem persists by return email or phone on 1300
                  362 192.

Thank you for contacting Lexmark Support

Wonderful. In the meantime I do all my printing through an XP Virtual. Don't want to wreck my laptop by dumping XPMode RC onto it. Want to wait for the RTM version. Hopefully that will bypass the printing issue if appropriate drivers are not released.

In the meantime, just to go Windows 7 with several of my apps installed gets to be a slow piece of crap at times. Lots of lockups and it is more difficult to end the Task than before. This O/S is looking and feeling more and more like a Mac with what appears less user control. My initial enthusiasm has been somewhat dampened after using it live for the last 2 weeks.

Also, what version of IE should I be using? The 32 bit or the 64bit one? GUMBY!!!!!!! My brain hurts!!!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                    Also, what version of IE should I be using? The 32 bit or the 64bit one?
                    I say FireFox..

But if you MUST use IE, only the packaged version works on 7 as it has been "Specially Designed for 7"

I've actually been using 7 on my Laptop (as good as a PC, LoL) AND my work PC for about 2 months now, and I find it MUCH faster, and have had FAR less issues with it than what I had with the version of Vista that was on my work PC..

DJ
                    Daniel John
                    A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by djohn86 View Post
                      But if you MUST use IE, only the packaged version works on 7 as it has been "Specially Designed for 7"
                      I think he was referring to which of the bundled IEs should he be using - the 32-bit or the 64-bit version, as both are included...

Best guess would be that the 64-bit version is the one that's intended for mainstream use, with the 32-bit version being included for compatibility with any older (or for maximum MBAC *, 'legacy') plugins.

* Management-level Buzzword & Acronym Compliance
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries
                        I think he was referring to which of the bundled IEs should he be using - the 32-bit or the 64-bit version, as both are included...
                        My mistake, I have never actually USED any x64 version of windows.. And so did not realise that you get both packaged with it.. (Planning to upgrade my lappy to 7 x64 today actually)

DJ
                        Daniel John
                        A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

All of the printers I mentioned above worked straight away on a x32 system..

The C240 was across a network-mapped printer, but it still needed the drivers and things..

Will do the x64 in a few days once I ge tback on that project
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I had problems when trying to install my Samsung CLP-510 on Win7 x64, it did work however on x32 editions. Hopeing samsung will get their act together and publish some drivers for this expensive printer....

Jordan
                            Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
                            (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Comment

I'm having trouble with the C240 for the x64 platform.. I understand tat I need to load the drivers on the Server-side of things so te client can download it, but the server is telling me that I can't add those additional drivers. Might need to go back to Xerox and ask them.

For the Pixma850 on the 64bit side - it looks like it's going well so far.
                              It has a problem with the IJNetwork Setup - told me it was incompatible wit hthis version of windows, could not find a solution online, so I just did what I normally did: "Do it anyway"

the IJNetwork setup tool is used to do remote scanning and tihngs like that, so i'm toddling off to scan my face in just a moment..

Comment

Working...
                              X