Windows 7 Impressions and Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Impressions and Opinions

Is anyone running the RTM version yet? I'm assuming so. What are your impressions? Any issues, disappointments, or WOW moments?

So far so good for me. No real hardware or software issues (I upgraded from Vista). I am disappointed that they chose to remove Windows Calendar as I used it fairly extensively. Now I'm forced to use the Outlook calendar and keep Outlook running minimized all the time in order to get my reminders.

Re: Windows 7 Impressions and Opinions

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
    WOW moments
    Yup, 32-bit software works fine on the x64 editions

What can I say? Smooth, fast, stable. Like Vista, except smooth fast and stable
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It does seem faster than Vista. Startup and shutdown times seem quicker as well. It also seems to do a better job with memory management than Vista did.

So far, I'm liking it.

Comment

Oh, and I don't have to put a tray under my laptop to avoid first degree burns (and this is a laptop that came with Vista installed) which makes a nice change.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm impressed with it so far. Done a fresh install and it worked like a dream and found all my hardware and even downlaoded the latest ATI display driver from Windows update

So far - very very impressed.
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Smooth, fast, stable. Every dev application I tried works so far (VS 2K5, VS 2K8, Dev partner studio). Only notable problem so far is with Symantec EndPoint, which reports some kind of .exe from time to time, but it can be disabled not to notify you. Program itself works normally, updates regularly with the main corporate server.

Also, no notable problems in Windows 2003 Domain

Comment

I'm running 32-bit Enterprise Edition on a Dell D420, was running RC till last week. So far so good, found all of my hardware with no issues including my Mobile Broadband card.

We're running it on a couple of PCs in the office too, upgraded from Vista and seem to run better than they did before.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Highl1 View Post
                Smooth, fast, stable. Every dev application I tried works so far (VS 2K5, VS 2K8, Dev partner studio). Only notable problem so far is with Symantec EndPoint, which reports some kind of .exe from time to time, but it can be disabled not to notify you. Program itself works normally, updates regularly with the main corporate server.

Also, no notable problems in Windows 2003 Domain
                Quick Question for you on the SEP side. Can you RightClick on a folder and scan it on the fly? For some reason i can't do this on the 64bit version of RC. Honestly i haven't tried it on 32bit. My co-worker that handles all the anti-virus stuff said he did see something about that on the symantec forums. I was just wondering. Just DLed enterprise version from our VLA site and will be trying it out next week. So far my main work horse is x64 RC client. LOVING it.

Comment

Working...
                X