Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 KMS Activation

Hello

I've got comfused by the new licensing method.

In my volume license agreement i have Windows 7 KMS license key. I understand that in ths method one host in my network will contact MS servers and all my clients will activate against my internal KMS host.
    Also i understand that the KMS host will not register against MS until it will get 25 clients activation requests.

* I need for now only 1-3 clients with Windows 7 for evaluation, in that scenario will will never get activated ?
    * How much time my evaluation clients will fully operate without activation ?
    * Is that means i'll have to get at least 25 clients with Windows 7 until their grace period will end ?

Please is there someone who can explain that

10X

Re: Windows 7 KMS Activation

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kms+activation

You should be able to generate MAK keys through the volume licensing website. These are the keys you need to use if you're not using KMS.

You can see how much time is left before activation is required in the system properties (Start > right click Computer > Properties).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by avi_ei View Post
      Hello

Please is there someone who can explain that

10X
      http://www.microsoft.co.il
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi All,

I am going through this at the moment... Anyone got an answer on this? I am talking with our MS reseller to get to the bottom of this but from what they tell, this is a 'method', not a 'key'..? SO I used the KMS 'method' and applied the same key to a workstation with 7 and of course after '/ato' IT ACTIVATED... BUT, now it too is listening for clients to "register"... So now we have a happy KMS W2K8 server and a W7 desktop ...server...?
        Hopefully early next week I will get an answer from MS and see what they say but wouldn't this be a typical situation... I mean, you aren't releasing this until you've tested right? And you aren't testing 25 or more desktops at the same time... And yes, more than 1 month is required AND 're-arming' is not the answer...

Comment

Oh yea, I can't find anything on the MSVL site that tells you how to convert KMS into MAK, unless you contact your reseller. How can you do this through the site?
          Last edited by TOY74; 21st August 2009, 09:37. Reason: wording...

Comment

Good question. I currently do not have an answer, but I will ask someone at Microsoft to give a hand. Lets see what they come up with.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by TOY74 View Post
              Oh yea, I can't find anything on the MSVL site that tells you how to convert KMS into MAK, unless you contact your reseller. How can you do this through the site?
              Click "New MAK Keys" under Product Keys at the top of the page.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks but when I do that, this is the screen I see.. (see attached)? weird. I reloaded several times and used another desktop in case the page wasn't loading but still the same
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you don't have any products you're allowed to generate MAK keys for, unless the VL site is undergoing "planned maintenance" again - which at the moment it is, by the way.

Check back tomorrow. If necessary, contact your licence dealer. In general, they should be your first point of contact whenever you have a query.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I'll check back tomorrow then. Sounds like it could be a goer but I have been in contact with our reseller and they are at a lose... which is strange in itself And the "Petri" site has been a fantastic help in the past so I thought of asking here
                    Thanks for the tips and help on this though

Comment

WOOT! Resolved. The site work must have completed as I went to the same page, clicked the same link and now, lots of lots of products appear and I could select the required KMS to convert to MAK! Fantastic!
                      Thanks for your time guys / gals!

Comment

Working...
                      X