Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No avi codec on fresh Windows 7 installations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No avi codec on fresh Windows 7 installations?

So, does it make sense not to support avi files on a fresh 7 installation? Imagine my consternation when I tried to watch one of my Train Signal videos and was stymied due to no codec. Now I have to go wade through the spyware laden world of Codec Packs to find one.

However, I wonder if there's a deeper issue here. I downloaded this codec pack as well as DivX, both of which claim codecs for avi files, and I still can't watch my vids. Might it be because I'm running the 64 bit version of 7? Hmmm... In a previous installation of 7 I noticed the same issue but the codec pack I installed then worked. Unfortunately I was a bad SysAdmin and didn't document which pack I used.

Anyone else had this issue? Can anyone recommend an avi codec that they have personal experience with? (Yes, I Googled it)
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: No avi codec on fresh Windows 7 installations?

Followup!

There was a bit more going on than I suspected. I should first preface this by stating that I am woefully clueless about codecs and the like. I thought an avi codec was an avi codec. Apparently that's not the case; there are many different avi codecs. Follow my sleuthing trail:

I did this Google search which brought back this Ex-Ex post (use the Google search and then click the top return to be able to see the answer; scroll all the way down past the filthy lies that you have to sign up to see the solution). In the Accepted Solution, the poster mentioned using a tool called GSpot (stop snickering) to analyze the movie file that you can't watch. It will tell you what codec was used to make it and thus which codec you need to view it. I analyzed the Train Signal video which said that it used the "TechSmith Screen Capture Codec". One quick Google search later and I landed at this page, installed the TSCC codec and was happily viewing my Train Signal video.

So in the end, this might not be an issue with 7 after all. However, I didn't have to jump through these hoops on Vista and have never had to install the TSCC before. Strange.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Used that program many a time.

It is probally somthing to do with licencing, I know you windows use to have the Indio Video codec I belive, but it was removed in XP as couldn't get a licence to include it in windows

Dave

Comment

Oh Wesley, that CODEC is on the Train Signal CDs. RTFM
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Oh Wesley, that CODEC is on the Train Signal CDs. RTFM
          Is it also on the mondo hard drive I got? I just scoured the hard drive and couldn't find any codec installer. The individual titles (like ISA 2004, Windows Network Infrastructure, etc.) only included a help page that said if you are having trouble viewing the videos, please install the Windows Media player plugin for FireFox or upgrade to the latest version of IE / WMP. I did, however, notice that on the web page at the root of the drive there was a link to Train Signal's help page which does indeed link to the Tech Crunch codec, so in that way there was a reference to the codec.

"Manual? We don't need no stinkin' manual!"
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Didja try VLC player? This has all codecs built-in.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X