Windows 7 Dual bootin with XP pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Dual bootin with XP pro

You know the question was comming. Sorry I don't have a computer powerful enough laying around that I can test Windows 7.

So... I currently have XP and Vista dual booting. Can I install Windows 7 where vista WAS?

Is there a good procedure anyone has?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Windows 7 Dual bootin with XP pro

I haven't tried it but given that Windows 7 and Vista are built on the same codebase I'd guess the procedure is pretty much the same as before.

I'd probably boot to XP and reformat the Vista partition, then use the XP CD to re-write the MBR and remove the Vista boot manager. Then reboot to XP and launch the 7 install wizard, choose clean install and then install 7 on the blank partition.

You could probably also do an upgrade install of Vista, but personally I'm not a fan of upgrade installs. Windows upgrades tend to leave a little too much rubbish behind for my liking, so I always go for a clean install.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Amen to that. No upgrades. You said use xp to remote the vista booter. Would I have to do a repair? Or is there some other feature?
      I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
      Chris Robertson
      The Computer Doctor

Comment

From the XP CD choose the Repair option, then select the recovery console, then from the command prompt type fixmbr and then fixboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Comment

FYI,

I had the same setup as you crobertson....XP/Vista dual boot.

All I did was boot with the Windows7 disc and choose the Vista partition to install over and then format when given the choice. Shouldn't need to do all of the other steps.

Comment

Or, you can run it in Virtual PC 2007 if you just want to become familiar with it. Saves messing with a dual boot install.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X