XP Pro upgrade to windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro upgrade to windows 7

Does anyone have information re upgrading from XP Pro to Windows 7? Are there options or do I need to buy the new OS? Thank you.

Re: XP Pro upgrade to windows 7

I don't believe that there is an upgrade path from XP to 7 and in any case, you have to purchase the OS anyway, either an upgrade license (if one is available) or a full license for the version of 7 that you plan on installing.

Comment

Thank you joeqwerty.

Comment

Glad to help. Also, after some googling it appears that MS will offer "upgrade" licenses for XP to 7, but you'll still have to do a clean install. Keep your ear to the wall for more info from MS as the Windows 7 release gets closer.

Comment

Yeah, MS aren't supporting 'migrations' from anything but Vista..
          IMHO, you're better off doing a clean install anyway, systems tend to run better after a clean install as opposed to a migration..

DJ
          Daniel John
          A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
          ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Adding to the other suggestions, to minimise the impact of the change from XP to W7 you could also use User State Migration Tool (USMT) (Which is what an upgrade installation would do pretty much). Here is a video on how to do that using a default installation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../dd671583.aspx

I am not quite sure about the technical reasons behind it but i think MS have made a mistake by not offering a direct upgrade path from XP. They are offering upgrade licenses from XP though
            So, they have either done their research properly and are not expecting many XP customers upgrading to W7 thus disregarding the minority or they might have any technical reasons behind it.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X