Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [win7] Change icon for ZIP files

Hello,

I would like to change the icon for ZIP files because it looks too much like the icon for a 'normal' folder. I am not using any other ZIP software.

But in Win 7:
    - There is no File Types tab
    - There is no option for icons at the properties tab

I opened regedit and changed the icon location there, filled in something like:
    %windir%\explorer,1

Where ,1 is the location of the icon in the explorer.exe file.
    But with no luck.

Can anyone tell me how to change the ZIP file icon?

Re: [win7] Change icon for ZIP files

Have a look in here. %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

Right click on the Zip shortcut;
    Properties
    Shortcut tab
    Change Icon
    Browse to where you installed Zip (Winzip)
    Left click on WINZIP32.EXE
    Choose an icon

What version of Zip are you using? I don't see how the Icon can look like the folder one as the Zip or Winzip icons look like a filing cabinet with a clamp holding it together.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

File types can be changed to a limited degree using the 'Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a program' or Regedit (create a new key for .zip)'

Alternatively you need a 3rd party program such as Creative Elements Power Tools to change icons etc:

http://www.creativelement.com/powertools/

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Have a look in here. %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

Right click on the Zip shortcut;
        Properties
        Shortcut tab
        Change Icon
        Browse to where you installed Zip (Winzip)
        Left click on WINZIP32.EXE
        Choose an icon

What version of Zip are you using? I don't see how the Icon can look like the folder one as the Zip or Winzip icons look like a filing cabinet with a clamp holding it together.
        Thanks 4 your reply.

This will change the icon for the shortcut but not for the .zip file itself.

I am not using any 3th party software for compressing files so the icon is windows 7 default.

I have added a screenshot for what I mean.
        The left icon is unpacked [a folder] and right icon is the zip file. They look very alike.

Originally posted by pjhutch View Post
        File types can be changed to a limited degree using the 'Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a program' or Regedit (create a new key for .zip)'

Alternatively you need a 3rd party program such as Creative Elements Power Tools to change icons etc:

http://www.creativelement.com/powertools/
        I tried adding this to the registry, no luck.
        Sure, a 3th party software can change the icon, but this is not the right way.
        Attached Files

Comment

Are you refering to the inbuilt Windows 7 compression program? If so, then this is TOTALLY to a Zip file.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by RedCellNL View Post
            I opened regedit and changed the icon location there, filled in something like:
            %windir%\explorer,1
            Can you tell more about where/how you have tried doing this.

The key is:
            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder\DefaultIcon
            (Actualy, I wouldn't be surprised if there could also exist an optional user preferences key for this in Windows 7, although I don't know of such key).
            Edit the @default value in the key: Enter the path to the file containing the icon(s), don't use variables (like you did) or shortnames in the path.
            In Windows Vista the default path was: C:\Windows\system32\zipfldr.dll
            After you have made the changes and rebooted the system, can you check this key if the changes were persistent.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
              Can you tell more about where/how you have tried doing this.

The key is:
              HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder\DefaultIcon
              (Actualy, I wouldn't be surprised if there could also exist an optional user preferences key for this in Windows 7, although I don't know of such key).
              Edit the @default value in the key: Enter the path to the file containing the icon(s), don't use variables (like you did) or shortnames in the path.
              In Windows Vista the default path was: C:\Windows\system32\zipfldr.dll
              After you have made the changes and rebooted the system, can you check this key if the changes were persistent.

\Rems
              Thanks Rems, that works.
              I did not try the reboot and was looking at a different key.

One thing is strange: when I install zip software the icon changes immediateley, and when I change the key manually it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by RedCellNL View Post
                One thing is strange: when I install zip software the icon changes immediateley, and when I change the key manually it does not.
                The software could be able to call somekind of refresh, OR... and most likely the setup un-register the current "zip".dll (zipfldr.dll) and after installation it re-register the same or another "zip".dll.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                X