Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance tweaks?

I've discovered I quite like Windows 7.

However it's still a bit resource hungry. It's taking up a gig of memory at all times (thank I have 4 but still...) and I was wondering what people's performance tweaks were?

Re: Performance tweaks?

Waiting for Gold, and giving feedback to MS, seems one of the best ones!

Since 1Gb is minimum for XP these days, it seems reasonable for W7
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The minimum for XP is not 1 gig. It runs on much less.

It's not the fact that it is taking up a gig that bothers me - even if I would like to get it down a little - I just like to tweak and optimise my OS. There's nothing wrong with that. For example, on XP, you can turn off a lot of irrelevent services (in my case an example would be Fax). These save time booting and and don't clog up the memory while your PC is running. I am interested in the sorts of things we can do to tweak Windows 7.

Comment

OK, let me elaborate
        I know XP can run in a lot less than 1Gb (A bit like Windows 95 on a 4Mb 386 ), but I would not specify less than 1Gb for a new XP box, preferably 2

Try tweaks that work for XP and/or Vista and monitor the effect they have
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ah, I know what you mean. Yes, I wouldn't run XP with less than 2 gig in the box. I get the impression that I wouldn't run 7 with less than 3.

I've already started turning off the unecessary services. I will be leaving the theme on (because I actually quite like it). These are the very common sorts of tweaks. I haven't played with the write cache yet but I am curious about how much of a boost you will actually get.

Comment

Originally posted by antihippy View Post
            I've discovered I quite like Windows 7.

However it's still a bit resource hungry. It's taking up a gig of memory at all times (thank I have 4 but still...) and I was wondering what people's performance tweaks were?
            1GB??? What you got running? On boot, mine is using just under 500MB.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              1GB??? What you got running? On boot, mine is using just under 500MB.
              Nothing. I haven't actually tweaked anything yet.... hence the thread. It's a base install using the RC downloaded from MS.

Comment

I haven't tweaked anything either. Mine is just a default install with Windows 7 supplying all drivers except Audio. Also has the usual utilities installed like Adobe, Quicktime etc and Office 2007.

You need to have a look in Task Manager and see what is eating into your RAM.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  I haven't tweaked anything either. Mine is just a default install with Windows 7 supplying all drivers except Audio. Also has the usual utilities installed like Adobe, Quicktime etc and Office 2007.

You need to have a look in Task Manager and see what is eating into your RAM.
                  I'll have a peek tonight.

There's nothing exciting installed. Mine is just the usual. I put in a virus checker the other night however it was at a gig before that went in.

Comment

I think the rule "Why fix it when it ain't broken" applies in here. Certain tweaks (That MS should have shipped them with in the first place) were needed previously because the OS used to run like a Bag of S**** ( And that's not Sand either).
                    Now as far as I've seen and heard so far W7 looks good without needing any performance enhancing tweaks.
                    Also, It will only get better perfomance wise as it designed with the multicore technology in mind.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                      I think the rule "Why fix it when it ain't broken" applies in here. Certain tweaks (That MS should have shipped them with in the first place) were needed previously because the OS used to run like a Bag of S**** ( And that's not Sand either).
                      Now as far as I've seen and heard so far W7 looks good without needing any performance enhancing tweaks.
                      Also, It will only get better perfomance wise as it designed with the multicore technology in mind.
                      I don't know. That seems overly optimistic to me. Forgive my cynical nature but I've been around a bit too long to believe that "it's perfect". Or that it will approach such a state over time. Many of Vista's problems were hardwired into it and it's those that made it so unrelentingly c***. W7 is pretty good.

Anyone played around with the write cache?

Comment

From what I've seen so far, Win7 works a lot better than Vista RTM and Vista SP1 (haven't tried SP2 yet). And yes, compared to Windows XP it's a lot more, but not as resource hungry as Vista. In any case, if anyone feels like installing a copy on the same laptop or desktop that used to run Win98SE or even Windows XP, then forget it. You do need a "modern" PC.
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'd beg to differ there Daniel..

At work we are running a Win7 Test Beast (Compaq D51S Evo w/ 2.4Ghz P4/1Gb Ram/ 40Gb Disk), and it runs fine...

I've seen XP run worse on a machine of a similar build..

THAT SAID, that machine was well over due for a rebuild...

DJ
                          Daniel John
                          A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************

Comment

So what you're saying is that it runs BETTER than XP on the same hardware?
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by djohn86 View Post

THAT SAID, that machine was well over due for a rebuild...

I'd say as good as, assuming the hardware is supported..
                              Daniel John
                              A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Working...
                              X