RC First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC First Impressions

Installed on my laptop today, it's a Dell D420 with 2.5gb of RAM and 1.2GHz Core Duo CPU.

No issues at all with install and it got almost all of my hardware straight off. I downloaded bluetooth and mobile broadband drivers from Dell, Vista for the former and a new driver also compatible with Win 7 for the latter. As an added bonus I discovered my card also has GPS support, need to play with that some more.

No issues with apps thus far, I have Office 2007, VLC Media Player 0.9.9, Avast! Antivirus, and a few bits and pieces like Dosbox and BeebEm.

This laptop shipped with XP on it, and I had Vista Business for a while. I downgraded again because of performance issues. So far 7 seems much better from that point of view, video and graphics render much more quickly and there's none of the file copy issues that plagued pre-SP1 Vista for me. I'll need to try the XP mode as well but so far very happy.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: RC First Impressions

Well said. I'm just about to toast my spare Dell XPS M1210 machine and plug Win7 on it.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

My Dell Vostro 400 is running fine with it.

So far, very impressed with it

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

had installed it on my msi wind..(atom280,2gb,160gb,bt,802.11n)

works like a charm
        everything runs smooth.
        runnig also avast and
        only prob till now is of another kind.. wmp 12 won't allow directvubsub.. so no srt plugin in wmp.... (u can install wmc but that's another issue.)

any1 tried daemon tools ? i had check the latest version on the beta but afraid to install here...
        this toy runs perfect and daemon can damage everything...

Comment

A colleague install it on an IBM R51 with 1GB RAM and he says it runs faster than when it had XP Pro installed. It even picked all the devices and installed the appropriate drivers when Update was run.

Works fine in a VM so now I have to find some hardware I can blow it onto.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

liking it so far, but still think they need to replace the system icons in system try, the white just looks nasty, they should stick with the vista style ones or better sill design some nice high colour ones.

Still getting used to the new UI but im sure i'll be fine. noticed some silly things like messenger shows two windows in "peek" mode one is your avatar and the other the main window, dont know if thats a w7 thing or messenger. Would be nice to keep it in the systry where it started from

Only problem so far is slow downloads which i cant work out.
            Ben Gillam MCP/MCSA 2003 - IT Manager (IGC Group)

Comment

I have it running in a virtual machine on my laptop. I'm impressed so far.

It's got a lot of the same look, feel, and smell of Vista, but seems to be less resource intensive.

The new task bar is cool, I like the icon based bar vs the text based.

I probably won't switch away from Vista unless there is a significant changes in feature set to excite me enough to purchase.
              MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Is a lot quicker than Vista and MS seem pleased with it. Rumors now have it being RTMed around July. Will be interesting to see if it happens then.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Got it running in a VPC and it looks good -- clean and "swisher" than vista
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gillll View Post
                    any1 tried daemon tools ? i had check the latest version on the beta but afraid to install here...
                    this toy runs perfect and daemon can damage everything...
                    Installed it last night, the latest version of DT Lite is listed as supporting the beta although the RC reports it as incompatible. It installed OK and seems to work except that you can't disable virtual drives that have had an image mounted until you reboot. You get an error about open handles.

Only other issue I've had is with dosbox. Trying certain games fullscreen forces Windows into basic display mode, notably Doom. I'll try it in XP Mode and see what happens.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

MagicISO is a good alternative for Daemon Tools on 7

Comment

Originally posted by Hanley View Post
                        And hot off the press. http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/showthr...309#post114309

For those who don't want to click the link.
                        Originally posted by Daemon Tools Forum
                        DT Lite/Pro supports Windows 7
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Quick update on DT - it seems that I hadn't dismounted the image before trying to disable all virtual drives. It's working fine now.

I tried using Windows Mobile Device Centre last night and managed to lose half the settings on my phone, much clunkier than Activesync.
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Hanley View Post
                            Ever since Deamon Tools did that nasty trick with crappy spyware/hijackware or whatever they called it, I will never touch their products again, even if they pay me money.

Magic ISO is good.

Gizmo is better.

http://arainia.com/software/gizmo/
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Had Win7 on an old heap of crap test machine at work (1gb/p4), which seemed to run it as good as, if not better, than XP.

So I took a 'leap of faith' on my HP dv9520tx..

Vista Business to Win7..

Whatever wasn't installed during setup, was installed automatically while I was still getting to the developers web page...

So far i'm pretty pleased with it, runs WAY better than Vista Bus EVER did on my lappy (Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz/3gb/2x 160gb/GeForce 8600M GS), which scores a 4.5 on the Windows Experience Index..

Booted VXP the other day, but haven't really had a proper play with it yet...

Overall, looks heaps better than vista, is basically what I expected Vista to be like..

I think my fav new feature so far is the 'Snipping Tool' which is basically two-click screen dumps..

And the ONLY issues i've had so far is my 24Clock sidebar gadget doesn't work on it and i forgot to save my iTunes playlists (40+ GB worth of music, that hurts... )

THAT SAID, I've only had it on for a few days so far..
                              Daniel John
                              A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
                              ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Working...
                              X