Windows 7 RC & XP Mode (Beta) Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 RC & XP Mode (Beta) Released

In case you didn't realise, Windows 7 RC has been released to technet subscribers and is available via the Technet website. Windows XP Mode (Beta) is also released to technet subscribers.

Windows XP mode:

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/04...rt-1-overview/
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Windows 7 RC & XP Mode (Beta) Released

And the site is being hammered. I am presently downloading at 21k/sec. This is about 50 times slower than my normal speed from TechNet.

Public release is available from May 5 from here. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

So who has had a chance to play with XPM so far? I did, and I like the general and overall concept, however I cannot say I'm impressed with the functionality.

One thing that pissed me was that VPC does not let you pick where to place the dynamic VHD files. It stores them in the user's profile on the C drive. That's one place that'll need to be carefully watched as that file will probably grow as more and more files and applications are added to the VP VM, and even with regular use such as applying Windows Updates and so on.

The other thing that made me angry was the fact that you had to shut down the VM in order to use a published application. These can only be used when the VM is closed, and when you run them, it boots the VM and opens the application.

Integration with the Win7 desktop seems pretty nice though, and apps show in the tray area.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by The Boss
        One thing that pissed me was that VPC does not let you pick where to place the dynamic VHD files.
        Haven't installed on actual hardware yet so am not able to check, but is there any way of applying a Reg Hack to change the location path? Just a thought.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's most likely that you might be able to edit the VMCX file to point it to a different place.

Update: It seems that the VPCX file is just a shortcut to the good old VPC file, which can be edited manually.
          Last edited by danielp; 9th May 2009, 15:53.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Must give that a go tomorow, oops, later today. Thanks.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It is now a Public release.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-173f032f5159

Video tutorial on how to use the mode can be found here.
              http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/ed...t_2MB_edge.wmv
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

oh this sounds FANTASTIC. We currently have VirtualPC setup with multiple different vpnn clients in each machine.. this could make things REALLY cool...

i'd really like to see it for Server2008.. although is that what HyperV is ?
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I must admit this is one Windows release I am looking forward to rolling out.
                  Started making some deployment plans ready for January 2010.

Anybody else doing a complete rollout to their company?

Gotta love SA (Yes the master agreement runs out September but we are renewing)

Comment

I must say that even though Windows 7 is far, far better that whatever Vista was or is, after the Vista fiasco I will hold my and my clients' horses for a while before I do a full site upgrade.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                      I must say that even though Windows 7 is far, far better that whatever Vista was or is, after the Vista fiasco I will hold my and my clients' horses for a while before I do a full site upgrade.
                      lol Service Pack building!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        I must admit this is one Windows release I am looking forward to rolling out.
                        Started making some deployment plans ready for January 2010.

Anybody else doing a complete rollout to their company?

Gotta love SA (Yes the master agreement runs out September but we are renewing)
                        My target date is December - to coincide with the acquisition of a new fleet of laptops....

Hopefully I can get one of the laptops bought BEFORE then so I can finalise ghost stuff.. else they'll all be standing around my desk for 2 weeks while I get it all sorted for finality
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

While we use local profiles with redirection (so potentially, running multiple OSes wouldn't be a major issue), it makes life much simpler to keep everyone on XP for the time being. We are very keen to roll out 7 when we can, but there are a few obstacles in the way. 9 machines would need replacing (which in a company of 35 users is a reasonable percentage), and more importantly our finance app won't run on Vista/7. We're planning to move this onto a TS - actually the recommended deployment scenario by the developers - but that spend hasn't been authorised for at least 6 months.

Weak, accounts department, lame.

Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've been there before. In the past, I had a finance department whose manager refused to upgrade their legacy finance software. We had to virtualise Windows 1995 for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                              I've been there before. In the past, I had a finance department whose manager refused to upgrade their legacy finance software. We had to virtualise Windows 1995 for them.
                              i can beat that,
                              our Pension/Benefits manager is still using a proggie from DOS. THANKFULLY we were able to find some updates to make this bad boy run with XP. even found a patch for it to make it run faster. prior to that, he was stuck with the program waiting about 20 minutes for it to load.

Comment

Working...
                              X