Win7 + Cisco VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 + Cisco VPN

So part of my job involves regularly connecting to clients to perform work.. and some of them use Cisco VPNs (the main ones I work for do anyway) as well as our office being a cisco vpn site.

So one of the first things I tried to install was the Cisco VPN software.. I'd tried 3 different versions..4.04, 5.00.300 and 5.00.530 and was able to generate errors repeatedly.. either the service didn't install (4.0.4) of it went into a bsod cycle for the other two.

Eventually, I found this http://weblogs.asp.net/bhouse/archiv...windows-7.aspx and was able to get 5.00.530 working.. so thank you mr house..

(this is posted here for posterity sakes, so anyone else having issues may find it quicker than I did.. I don't wish to take responsibility for the actual solution.)

Basically - you need to install a DNE fix, and then delete some system files, then reinstall the cisco client.. then reboot and let system restore do it's thing..

I wonder if I could use this to fix the vista vpn issue our Director has..
    Last edited by tehcamel; 24th April 2009, 09:44.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Win7 + Cisco VPN

I was able to get 5.05 to install without issue many times on many versions of 7 with no mods.

Check out www.shrew.net as well. GREAT program. Works with x64 as well.

Comment

thakns for letting me know..

I actually tihnk i'm gonna start working on our W7 SOE soon.... i might try Shrew on my XP image tonight, and see if it really can do multiple vpn clients.. that's one of our big issues.. we support clients who use cisco, windows pptp, safenet, checkpoint, and there's even anoter.. plus different versions for 1 application for 2 different clients.
      trying to get all these vpn clients instaled on a single image, witohut conflicts.. is not fun.

i haven't yet been able to find a good (including price) solution whereby we can have just a single vpn cient..that would be fantastic
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Another option for Cisco VPN would be to use the Web SSL VPN. I tested it on my Windows 7 VM at home and it worked well.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Originally posted by mvalpreda View Post
          I was able to get 5.05 to install without issue many times on many versions of 7 with no mods.

Check out www.shrew.net as well. GREAT program. Works with x64 as well.
          Just BSOD'd my Win7 64-bit RC system.

Crap.

Last updated version they have is from a year ago?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X