X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Office 2003?

Hi,

I try to install Office 2003 and I get:

This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it

I've tried it via two DVD drives and one virtual drive mounting an ISO image ... same result, there is nothing wrong with the CD itself.

Another issue (though not reconcilable i.e. I can live with it as an imprefect solution) is that I can't find any way of making "My Documents" (the default library?) point at the network location where individual domain members (2003 AD) documents are stored ... I wasn't able to do it with Vista either which was one of the reasons I dropped back to XP.

Any ideas?

Kyu
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 11th April 2009, 08:24.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Installing Office 2003?

hi,
    There could be some crucial bits missing here!
    Are you saying you had a vista machine and installed xp on it? Does all the hardware work on it? Have you checked for virus and disk problems? If the disk does install correctly on another machine it does rule that bit out.
    Simon

Comment

With luck he has two separate issues, one involving Office 2003 on Windows 7 and another involving a separate installation of XP
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Guys,

No ... I have 1 main issue, that of installing Office 2003 on Windows 7 (there is nothing wrong with the CD as it installs OK on XP).

A "subsequent" (different) issue is that I can't find a way to make my default document folder a network share (as I can do on an XP domain client).

I have no XP issues at all and I'm not trying to install it on Win 7.

Hopefully that clarifies things

Kyu

Comment

Er... no, it doesnt really
          "installing Office 2003 on Windows 7" and "not trying to install it on Win 7" appear, at least to my limited brain, to be mutually exclusive
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Er... no, it doesnt really
            "installing Office 2003 on Windows 7" and "not trying to install it on Win 7" appear, at least to my limited brain, to be mutually exclusive
            I am NOT trying to install XP on Windows 7 (I am trying to install Office 2003 on Windows 7, nothing more) ... honest! I was only saying that the install of Office 2003 worked fine on an XP system (same hardware)

Does that make any more sense?

Kyu

Comment

Perhaps we need to go right back to the beginning and carefully type out what your problem is. I have just installed Office 2003 onto Windows 7 without any problems at all. However it must be remembered that Windows 7 is still in Beta and that may be causing some problems with your install.

Have you tried copying the Office CD to a physical HDD, mapping a drive letter to it from within Windows 7 and try installing it that way. This is what I did though I have no doubt that and ISO or installing via a captured DVD Drive would also work.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
                I am NOT trying to install XP on Windows 7 (I am trying to install Office 2003 on Windows 7, nothing more) ... honest! I was only saying that the install of Office 2003 worked fine on an XP system (same hardware)

Does that make any more sense?

Kyu
                Yes it does.

As others have said, try copying the contents of the Office CD to the local HD. See from there.

As always, are you getting any special errors in the event log?

Did you try looking at other Office-dedicated forums of newsgroups?

As for you other question, the one about sharing the documents folder - if you need to redirect any of the special folders you can use Group Policy. If you're trying to do it locally, what I personally do is to move the Documents and other special folders to a new folder, and that one can be easily shared. See image.
                Attached Files
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

OK ... I'll try that ... after I've killed a few more Jedi's that is

Kyu

Comment

OK ... I'll try that
                    Yay! It worked! Thanks

Kyu

Comment

Yay! It worked! Thanks

Kyu
                      What did? Additional information would be greatly appreciated.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                        What did? Additional information would be greatly appreciated.
                        Oh ... I booted on my XP machine form where I can "see" the hard disk on which Windows 7 is installed, I copied the CD contents to folders on the W7 disk and installed directly.

Kyu

Comment

Working...
                        X