Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 or windows server?

So here in lies my issue.

Our environment at work is currently SBS03 and 2003.
    Our clients are mainly 2003, a few large ones are solely 2000 shops.

It hs been my intention so far to start migrating over to 2008 slowly, especially because we'll be doing some upgrades from 2K straight to 2k8 for clients.

I'm about to start insalling 2008 on my server at home for experimentation and learning.. howver I'm starting to think might i be better going Win7 ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: 2008 or windows serve r?

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
    I'm about to start insalling 2008 on my server at home for experimentation and learning.. howver I'm starting to think might i be better going Win7 ?
    I am not sure if I am reading this properly but Win 7 is a client OS and windows 2008 is a server. With that clarified I'd say In a lab environment Yes by any means start using win7 clients with your windows 2008. But given the fact that WIN7 is still in the Beta stages and only planning for the RC in May I's say to hold the horses for implementing Client upgrades until the full version is released to the public.
    What I would say though if you plan to upgrade your XP clients you'd be better to seriously consider giving Vista a mis and looking into implementing Win7.

It's a big step to consider though as it will be a shock for the end users.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

ah it's only a client OS huh. that'll teach me to research properly before randomly deciding i should use a new os.

it's definitely a lab environment - it's my home stuff.
      I might try it as a virtual workstation maybe
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

ah it's only a client OS huh.
        Well, there is a server version but it's officially known as Windows Server 2008 R2 I think ( ..To add to MS consistency of naming conventions ).
        Last edited by L4ndy; 19th March 2009, 10:25.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

ah it's only a client OS huh. that'll teach me to research properly before randomly deciding i should use a new os.

it's definitely a lab environment - it's my home stuff.
          I might try it as a virtual workstation maybe
          i agree with L4ndy. When I do upgrade, it will be straight to Windows 7 and after the release of it's first public service pack.

I have a virtualised W2k8 forest with single domain with Windows 7 as a client and it works fine. I have another VM with Office communications server R2, Sharepoint and SQL Srv 2008 and run them using Virtual PC on a PC with 4GB memory and duo core processor.

Certainly quick enough for test purposes. I have also joined my physical laptop to the domain, so I can use communicator. You could perhaps do the same with windows 7 on a physical computer.

Comment

Working...
          X