No announcement yet.

Finally, CMD drag and drop is back!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, CMD drag and drop is back!

(an article will be posted on this subject on the main site)

Somehow, this useful feature wend away in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. I wrote about this in my “Missing Drag and Drop in Vista Command Prompt” article. In Vista/2008, if you try to drag a file from anywhere in Windows Explorer to an open Command Prompt window you see that the pointer icon changes to a “no entry” symbol.

When asked, Microsoft officials provided dull answers and claimed that this is “by design” and that it was in fact “a feature”. Some claimed that “This was done to reduce the command window's dealings with the dragged data object”. This last excuse is, in my opinion, pure crap especially when compared to the huge overhead provided by other so-called “advanced” features of Vista such as the process-intensive Aero theme. Other answers included things like “you can shift-right-click to get the copy as path function instead”. Another claim was that the drag and drop feature was dropped because it poses a “security risk”. Maybe, I don’t know, but since it’s been present since the days of older operating systems I don’t see why it wasn’t removed before if it was such a huge security risk.

You can imagine that I did not have high expectations set when I booted up my Windows 7 (currently beta build 7000) virtual machine and fired a CMD window. I tried dragging a file name onto the open CMD window, and behold, it works!

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Re: Finally, CMD drag and drop is back!

Okay... And what is the big advantage of this "feature"?

I heard it once during a MS Training but i forgot...
    MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
    A+ Core | ITIL-F