New Features in Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Features in Windows 7

I'm sure MS has a list somewhere, but you probably have to decipher a full paragraph in order to understand the feature. Feel free to add to this list.

- When multiple windows of the same program are open, hover your mouse over the icon on your taskbar to view previews of all windows.

- Click+hold the top bar of a window (forgot the technical name) and shake (literally shake your mouse back and forth) the window to minimize all other windows to the taskbar. Shake again to bring back the other windows.

Re: New Features in Windows 7

Here is a list of some features (As per the Beta Team e-mail) which unfortunately I haven't had the chance to explore:

- Search Federation: Search information on the PC, mail or SharePoint in a consistent way.
    - DirectAccess: Gives mobile users seamless access to corporate networks without a need to VPN.
    - BranchCache(TM): Decreases time branch office users spend waiting to download files across the network.
    - BitLocker(TM) & BitLocker To Go(TM): Helps protect data on PCs hard-drives and memory sticks, with manageability to enforce encryption and backup of recovery keys.
    - AppLocker(TM): Specifies what software is allowed to run on user's PCs through centrally managed, but flexible, Group Policies.
    - Deployment Tools: Maintain images with enhanced offline servicing, deploy using less bandwidth.
    - Windows PowerShell 2.0: With graphical editor, easier to automate repetitive tasks.
    - VDI Enhancements: Improved user experience for VDI with multimon and microphone support.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Here you can find for some new features a nice explanation about the features listed by L4ndy
      http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...ments-overview
      Don't forget to review the links in the top also
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The Problems Steps Recorder (Also mentioned on Dumbers link) i think might prove quite popular with It support staff. For once you dont have to listen to the end users version of the problem (One of which I come accross is "My computer is eating my e-mails")
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          the end users version of the problem (One of which I come accross is "My computer is eating my e-mails")
          I heard some classics yesterday. Both from the same guy.

1) Office creates temp files when you open a document. This user dragged a temp file from Word into Excel and complained that the result wasn't usable.

2) "My mouse isn't working". Checked his machine, the mouse light was off. Checked round the back, 2 USB plugs. One went to the keyboard, the other went to the cut end of a cable. A clean cut. Like you'd get with scissors. With absolutely no sign how that could have happened.

I love our users
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            I heard some classics yesterday. Both from the same guy.
            I take it his picture is on a Dart board in your office then?!?
            ....or am I the only one that does that type of stuff
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Ironically, this is the same user who's always sending me emails commenting on the incompetance of the rest of his department.

"I am trying to contain myself while watching Rob help Roger figure out what the hell he just did to his computer."

He'd moved the task bar to the top of his screen
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                Ironically, this is the same user who's always sending me emails commenting on the incompetance of the rest of his department.

"I am trying to contain myself while watching Rob help Roger figure out what the hell he just did to his computer."

He'd moved the task bar to the top of his screen
                Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to fix that over the phone??? Sooo much harder when they put it on the side.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Usually it's quite easy - it's the result of whatever logon script I created that day to screw with Rob's mind

This week, I are been mostly using Message Box from Optimum X (unlike net send, it doesn't display the source PC hostname).
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Folks, lets keep this thread on topic please...
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Not sure if these were first introduced in Vista but this is what I found usefull:

When part of a Domain (Might also work on a workgroup not sure), when you go to the Network Page, all the active Computers are listed and when you right click on the Icon there is an option to Connect with Desktop Connection which obviously opens a terminal session (RDP).

Also the In the Task Manager in the Performance tab Like in Vista there is the Resource Monitor... button which is a great for keeping an eye on the subsystems, and they have enhanced it a bit with the graphs on the side and a physical memory usage chart.

HomeGroup: See how it's easier to connect to other computers, your home printer, or other devices over your wireless home network. To use HomeGroup, you'll need to have at least two PCs running Windows 7. If you set up a second PC, don't worry about getting another product key. You can use the key you got for your Beta on up to five PCs.

DeviceStage: Device Stage is a new way to work with cameras, printers, phones, and other products. When you connect a Device Stage-compatible product, you'll see a picture of the device and a list of things you can do with it right on one screen. Here's a list of products that take advantage of Device Stage. We update the list regularly, so check back if you're curious about a specific product.
                      Last edited by L4ndy; 16th February 2009, 15:42. Reason: New features added
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                      X