Does it have a name yet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it have a name yet?

One I heard, though probably more in jest, was Vista R2. Considering the Version is 6.1.[build number] it may not be far off the track. Keeps the Vista name that MS have poured $$$$$$$ into promoting it while giving it a "revitalised" name boost.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Does it have a name yet?

The official name will be "Windows 7". See http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...windows-7.aspx for details.

The server version will be "Windows Server 2008 R2"
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Windows 7. Not very awe inspiring. Actually reminded me of a program I used to watch on TV (long before 99% of you were born) that was called Joe 90. That is how inspiring Windows 7 seems to me. What a fizzer.

I still think Vista R2 would have been better and also inline with Server 2008 R2 (which is what gave me the idea).

Thanks for the link Guy. It has some quite good comments.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Vista's errr... very "good" name has made sure Microsoft will be fast to drop anything with that name, probably faster than they did with ME...

Oh, but it's just my private opinion, yes?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

No, I'm with you Daniel. Vista has bombed; and it's only Microsoft who haven't publicly acknowledged it. Pretty but bloated, slow and resource ravenous.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I agree that the best thing they could do is to pick a new name. Personally, I like the name Windows 7.

Comment

I'm in the process of creating a VM to test Windows 7 in as I type this. Personally, I like Vista... as long as you have hardware manufactured in the last 3 years and aren't expecting it to make breakfast in the morning for you. Here's an amusing XKCD comic that sums up the absurd situation nicely. I'm very much looking forward to some of the user interface improvements in 7. I hope they kill off NetBIOS...
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                I hope they kill off NetBIOS...
                Not yet...
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  Here's an amusing XKCD comic that sums up the absurd situation nicely. I'm very much looking forward to some of the user interface improvements in 7. I hope they kill off NetBIOS...
                  I just have a fish... Which does not blink its eyes...

Well what's in a name anyway? Windows 7 is fine for me...
                  MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                  A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Well what's in a name anyway? Windows 7 is fine for me...
                    There speaks a true IT geek who knows next to nothing about Business LOL. The name is EVERYTHING. If they called it Vista *ANYTHING*, it would bomb... no matter how good it was.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Well... Can you point out some (business) research? Did you did some (business)research?

I'm no marketeer but I'm confident the customer do wants a better product, even with a name that's new to them.
                      MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                      A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Working...
                      X