Windows 7 Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Beta

Are we all prepared to lay our hands and scatter our brains on the Windows 7 yet??
    Damn it, I am still trying to figure out XP. It looks like I am never going to catch that train.
    Anyway for a taste of the Beta version wait until this afternoon (GMT) according to this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

P.S. I presume there will be a new forum added soon as well.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Windows 7 Beta

I'll probably stick it in a VM on Hyper-V and have a look over the weekend. Must be lots of downloads already though - I was on MSDN this morning checking on some things and it was running like a dog.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm downloading via TechNet and only getting 160k/sec. Usually get around the 1mb/sec. Guess MS is getting hammered at the moment. I wonder how long it will take to dispense the 2.5 million copies.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Is it only available for download via Technet/MSDN?
        Or am I getting blind?
        I still don't have a account yet.

But damn, I just started to know how Vista works and Windows 7 is already going quick.
        Probably MS want to move on quickly and loosing the bad reputation what Vista has.
        I even read on some sites that Vista was the renewed ME OS.
        Last edited by Dumber; 9th January 2009, 19:09.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          Vista was the renewed ME OS.
          I had the same thought the other day, when I read about Windows7 beta being released to the public.
          No doubt Vista is in trouble as far as its spreading is concerned. This comes from a lot of reasons (I even think to open a separate thread for it in the Vista forum)...
          I myself am using it at the office for a year now and I am more than satisfied... Plus, I passed its certification and I am going to teach the MOC course.
          As Doris Day sang once: "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)"
          Last edited by sorinso; 11th January 2009, 15:42.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

I've just installed Windows 7 under VMware and... I'm very impressed. Few little things that cause me to raise an eyebrow, but then my attitude towards Vista was much the same. It installed in a fraction of the time that a test install of Vista did under VMware on the same host, and the performance is much improved too.

So far, if I had to pick between being everything Vista was supposed to be, or a flop, I'd say it's looking promising

Edit: Just found an xkcd

Last edited by gforceindustries; 11th January 2009, 02:37.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm downloading via TechNet and only getting 160k/sec. Usually get around the 1mb/sec. Guess MS is getting hammered at the moment
              http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

Seems there is a lot of interest in Windows 7.

No doubt Vista is in trouble as far as its spreading is concerned

I think that in a few years to come or maybe even not that long we will see that Vista will be relegated much in the same way as Windows ME was & be considered a stepping stone between 2 good operating systems, & something everyone would like to forget.

Personally, I dont mind it. But from a supporting viewpoint & the amount of downgrades we have performed, its just too much for some. The bloatware & windows symbol instead of start ,alone kills it for many.

Comment

I downloaded and installed it last night. Took ages to install on Hyper-V so I haven't had a play yet.

I think the major problems with Vista were the hype Microsoft put into it, and the fact that so many systems marketed as Vista capable or Vista ready or whatever else were barely capable of running it. Imagine now running XP on it's minimum recommended requirements and see how long you take to rip all your hair out.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

How long was ages?
                  I've got it on workstation 6.5 and it was as quick as vista.
                  So far, without looking too hard, all I can see so far is vista with a front end though (it is easy to say that before the internals are known of course)
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    How long was ages?
                    I've got it on workstation 6.5 and it was as quick as vista.
                    So far, without looking too hard, all I can see so far is vista with a front end though (it is easy to say that before the internals are known of course)
                    I wasn't watching closely, just set it to run then went and did other things, but I think it was around 2 hours. It's also blue screening constantly in Hyper-V, particularly if you try to change the default search provider in IE8 to Google. Coincidence?

I've got VMWare at work so might give it a go in that, definitely be interested to hear other peoples results with Hyper-V.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It took 20 minutes to install under VMware Workstation 6.5... obviously though the installation time depends on your hardware, and if it's a VM, the load that other apps are putting on the host system. I'm running Vista Ultimate in an identical VM on the same host, and Windows 7 seems to be outperforming it quite nicely. It also seems so far to be much more stable than Vista - while I've only ever had a Vista bluescreen once (memory fault), I have had a lot of app crashes under it. In the test environment I'm installing the same software on both, making the same changes on both etc. Will see how it goes.
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

My download bombed out over the weekend.

Trying again today.

Comment

I've tried it on my Macbook Pro, less then 30 minutes of installation (didn't watch the timer closely though)
                          But it's just Vista with a new background I actually don't know where to look at but also didn't had time to check it out.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Dual booted it on my Intel Quad Core with Vista Ultimate. Installed in under 30 minutes and has found all drivers etc bar one. So far I have been very impressed and had no issues with it. Definately quicker to boot up than Vista and doesn;t seem as Bloaty as Vista.

I'm going to install all my apps on Windows7 and use it as much as I can, but so far I'm very happy. Just wish I hadn't activated Windows 7 on my old test machine before dual booting. I now need to ring the MS clearing house

Michael
                            Michael Armstrong
                            www.m80arm.co.uk
                            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just installed on my HP dx2250 dual booting WXP. Installation took 33 minutes from inserting the DVD in WXP to logging on W7 for the 1st time, setup files were not updated on installation. Only VGA unrecognised but this was sorted out by Windows Update. Cold boot is much quicker than Vista.

I agree with Dumber, on first look it's very much like Vista. Obviously it's a bit quirky on first use. Most things are found in the usual places.

I intend to use this as much as i can too.
                              If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
                              X