XP does not find text in files.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP does not find text in files.

I tried to search for a specific string in a number of text files, but XP didn't find it- it only found the string in the filename. I didn't ask to search filenames, instead I asked to search "A word or phrase in the file..".

Is there something I should know about?

WinXP SP2
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: XP does not find text in files.

I just got the same behaviour -- XP SP2, fully patched, so it not an issue with your system.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows® XP - Search Problems

Windows® XP has a known issue for not finding a number of File Types when you do a Search for Files "containing text" or using the "A word or phrase in the file" option. This can be remedied for many file types, but not all. The cause is the lack of a PersistentHandler value in the Registry for this type of file.

You can correct this by clicking Start, Run and entering REGEDIT Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and locating the entry for the file type in question. For example, .txt, .adm, .asp. Expand the branch for that file type, and if the PersistentHandler subkey does not exist, create it. Do this by clicking on the file extension key and going to Edit, New, Key. Name the Key, PersistentHandler. Click on the PersistentHandler sub-key. In Regedit's right pane, double click on the Default value and enter the following (copy and paste may be your best bet):

{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

If the PersistentHandler sub-key does exist, do not change the default value. This could have very undesired consequences.

Close Regedit and reboot the computer. This file type will now be searched for "A word or phrase in the file" type searches.

An alternative is to download a small VB Script utility here. Save the file you just downloaded to your hard disk. Locate the file you just saved and double click it. Enter the file extension you wish to modify. If the PersistentHandler sub-key exists, no changes will be made. If it does not exist for the file type in question, the Registry will be updated accordingly. Reboot when you're finished with the file types you wish to change.

Many users are switching to a program called Agent Ransack, http://www.agentransack.com, to work around Windows XP's Search limitations.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Good find, JDMils!

Do you have a link to the VB Script or to the original page?

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sure. Go here. I'm thinking of writing something in VB.Net to go thru all file associations and insert the "missing link" if one is not found. Do you think it's worth the effort?
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

You can do that and I'll host it on the site if you want to.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Since you are runnning WinXP sp2 you might be interested in Windows Desktop Search 3.0 Beta Engine Preview. I know it's beta, preview and all that - but I thought you might want to have a look at it.
              A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Thanks Anders, but it seems that the WDS is an engine-only with no GUI!
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Working...
                X