Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Internet files Folder

Hello,
    While looking what fills-up my C: partition, found more then 540MB in the subject folder, (by right-click on the folder's name), what is strange I could not see any file in the files window.
    1. I set in the preferences this folder to be only 70MB.
    2. I also set that all files (hidden, sys etc.) be visible.

Any explanation and how to fix it will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    L.J.

Re: Temporary Internet files Folder

Did you try emptying the folder (via Internet Explorer's Delete Files button) and seeing how much space is relcaimed. You may find that you had a lot of slack space if you have formatted your HDD with FAT32.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks.
      Yes, I did that before posting, and free space on C: enlarged a bit, but again, it does not answer why I cannot SEE those files.
      Right now as I surf in the net, I rightclick on the folder's name - properties, and it reports there are 2751 files in ten folders (?) ocupying about 86MB, but where are these files, I do not see them, the files window is empty.
      L.J.

Comment

Can you view hidden files??

Comment

Hello "wullieb1" ,
          Yes, sure, please take a look where my question started, par.2
          This was ABC right after system installation, very long time ago.
          Thanks.
          L.J.

Comment

What about System Files being visible?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by LongJohn
              Hello "wullieb1" ,
              Yes, sure, please take a look where my question started, par.2
              This was ABC right after system installation, very long time ago.
              Thanks.
              L.J.
              Never saw that bit.

As Biggles has said can you view system files??

Comment

Hello,
                With all the respect, why can't you read my question to the end, I stated there in par.2 that I set ALL the files to be visible, hidden & system etc.
                The only files I cannot see are those in the temporary internet folder although by right clicking - I get the info there are files there!
                Thanks.
                L.J.

Comment

Right click and delete folder.

With all due respect, you mentioned sys, NOT system. Reading dozens of posts each day one tends to dismiss abbreviations due to the many varied ones some people make up for themselves. If these "hidden" files are a real problem, you can always format and reinstall.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,
                    With all the respect, why can't you read my question to the end, I stated there in par.2 that I set ALL the files to be visible, hidden & system etc.
                    The only files I cannot see are those in the temporary internet folder although by right clicking - I get the info there are files there!
                    Thanks.
                    L.J.
                    With all due respect to you i have a life outside this forum. I read over 100 posts per day and i am NOT sorry if i miss 1 3 letter word that you expect me to see. I also work and i have a busy life away from Petri.

If its important then bold the writing and make it stand out a bit from the others.

Now lets go right back to the first post and have a look.

As per the RULES of the forum where do you state the OS of your system??

Where is other important information like, Are you the Administrator of the PC??

There are hundereds of questions i could ask but won't as i really can't be bothered responding to your question any more.

Comment

Hello,
                      I respect everybody's private life and I am also sure the answers on this forum are given in good will and when time is available.
                      And by the way, "sys" stays for System, even system's file extention are *.sys in the file explorer.
                      However, if I am asked and do not know the answer, I do not hide behind "RULES", I just say sorry, it is not a shame.
                      You may not respond.
                      L.J.

Comment

Hello,
                        I respect everybody's private life and I am also sure the answers on this forum are given in good will and when time is available.
                        And by the way, "sys" stays for System, even system's file extention are *.sys in the file explorer.
                        However, if I am asked and do not know the answer, I do not hide behind "RULES", I just say sorry, it is not a shame.
                        You may not respond.
                        L.J.
                        I never hide behind the rules.

I also never said that i don't know the answer to your questions.

There are hundreds of quetion that i could ask but if you provided basic information fro theoutset then we could skip the biggest majority of them.

Comment

Hello,
                          You may not respond.
                          L.J.
                          LongJohn,
                          You seem to be making an immense effort not to get help from us. Thats a shame!

Firstly, can you please let us know the operating "sys" you are using and if your drive is NTFS or FAT

Secondly, did you try ? A fairly basic search shows that these deeply hidden files are a known problem and third party software exists to help clean them.

Thirdly, have you emptied the recycle bin? If not, please do so and see if it changes the folder size.

Fourthly, I would emphasise Wullie's point that all moderators and admins here are giving up our spare time to help others. If we charged, it would be in the region of 50 / $100 per hour , so a bit of appreciation of our efforts insead of criticism would not go amiss. Forum rules exist to help everyone make progress rather than increase post count by having to ask and answer simple questions.

If you have any issues with this response, please handle it by Private Message rather than in open forum where it is increasingly irrelevant. They will be shared with other moderators and admins but lets keep this thread to the actual topic.

Tom
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And from now on, i only want to see responses which are related to the questions or i will close the thread.
                            TS, please read the forum guidlines (not ment as offending).

Originally posted by Ossian

If you have any issues with this response, please handle it by Private Message rather than in open forum where it is increasingly irrelevant. They will be shared with other moderators and admins but lets keep this thread to the actual topic.
                            I agree, and from now on i will remove or edit every reponse in this tread which is not followed with Ossian's question.
                            TS, please read the answers carfully. There are a quit usefull links and tips in the responses.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                            X