DNS issues with Windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issues with Windows XP

Awhile back I did a consulting job and had to setup a domain location.business.com (for example) To run a test I added my Windows XP laptop to the domain. After tests were done I removed myself from the domain by going back to a workgroup. Now when logging into my laptop with my normal user account I had been using since before being added to the domain I am having a funky DNS issue. No matter the location it seems as though my laptop is looking for that DNS server. For example, when trying to ping a site lightingfire.org it attempts to ping lightingfire.org.location.business.com I am not sure why or where this DNS info would be stored, I have seen this in other instances where my software firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall) was trying to access location.business.com. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns and still having the issue, any suggestions? It's quite annoying and blocking me from accessing certain sites. I am dynamically pulling ip/gateway/dns from my Linksys router, nothing is set statically, the thing is it happens the same at friends house also
    Thanks in advance
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: DNS issues with Windows XP

Have you gone into TCP/IP advanced settings and checked there are no traces of the domain there:
    Attached Files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds to me like you have a DNS suffix problem, it seems to have hung around since you removed the machine from the domain.

To remove the suffix follow these steps:

1. Right Click My Network Places and select Properties.
      2. Right Click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.
      3. Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the Properties button.
      4. Click on the Advanced button.
      5. Click on the DNS tab.
      6. Remove any entries to the DNS servers that were on the site and ensure that the text box DNS Suffix for this connection: is clear.
      7. Click on OK twice and click on Close to close the properties page.
      8. Right Click on My Computer.
      9. Click on the Computer Name tab.
      10. Click on the Change button.
      11. Click on the More button.
      12. Remove any entries in the text box Primary DNS Suffix for this computer.
      13. Go to Start, Run and type cmd.
      14. In the command propmt type ipconfig /all.
      15. Under the entry for your connection ensure you have no DNS Suffix entries.

You may also want to check the HOSTS file on your computer for any rougue entries.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help, it seems as though location.business.com was listed under the Append these DNS suffixes, under the Advanced TCP/IP Settings. You both have solved my issue, thanks again!!

Should this have been removed when removing myself from the domain? Or does it normally stay there?

How do I check the HOSTS file (though I am sure this has solved my issue)
        Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Comment

You'll find the HOSTS file in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin
            Thank you so much for your help, it seems as though location.business.com was listed under the Append these DNS suffixes, under the Advanced TCP/IP Settings. You both have solved my issue, thanks again!!

Should this have been removed when removing myself from the domain? Or does it normally stay there?

How do I check the HOSTS file (though I am sure this has solved my issue)

As jeremy say's you'll find the hosts file here %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\.

Right click it and open it with notepad and you'll see any rougue entries fromt h network.

Comment

did you ever resolve this? i hope i am not hijacking this thread, but i am having a similar problem: 2 computers were added to a domain (from a workgroup; now using dhcp - previosuly static) and when the computers are started and randomly throughout the day (without restarting the computers), the dns server entries change as does the dns suffix.

i have tried flushdns, there are no hosts entries and yes, i have searched... and searched

This is correct ->

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : frogpad-biostar
              Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
              Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
              IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
              WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-E5-C4-4B
              Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
              Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.36
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.200
              DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.198
              DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.197
              Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:49:24 AM
              Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:49:24 AM

this is what happens->

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : frogpad-biostar
              Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
              Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
              IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
              WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.edu
              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-E5-C4-4B
              Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
              Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.36
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.200
              DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.248.198
              DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 134.173.143.2
              Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:49:24 PM
              Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:49:24 PM

IPs and domains changed to protect the guilty.

the second part shows the old dns suffix and dns servers... not sure where they are cropping up from....

Comment

badkarma:

read the posts there are some good tips where to look and what todo. and looks like he solved the problem see post 23rd August 2006, 22:04

check your tcp/ip settings maybe there are some manualy entrys... and the alternate configuration...

hmm i was just checking my tcp/ip settings but i dont find the alternate tab is it only available on laptops? i remember 100% that there should be a tab called alternate... help... where is it?

EDIT
                ok i started my laptop and i found it... i did not notice till now that its only available on laptops...
                Last edited by yaniv; 25th October 2006, 20:28.
                MCSE 2000 Done
                RHCE Done

Comment

Also check that there are no GPO's handing out DNS servers.

There was a thread on this a couple of days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by yaniv View Post
                    badkarma:

read the posts there are some good tips where to look and what todo. and looks like he solved the problem see post 23rd August 2006, 22:04

check your tcp/ip settings maybe there are some manualy entrys... and the alternate configuration...

hmm i was just checking my tcp/ip settings but i dont find the alternate tab is it only available on laptops? i remember 100% that there should be a tab called alternate... help... where is it?

EDIT
                    ok i started my laptop and i found it... i did not notice till now that its only available on laptops...
                    i have the alternate tab on both the laptop and desktop that are having this problem. thanks for the tips... still looking for the answer.... checking the GPO thing wullieb1 suggested. thinking on that, the should not be a gpo, because i installed and configured the servers myself and no one else has access to them. hmm checking... thanks!!!!

Comment

ok, spent most of the night at work....YAWN

i looked for GPO
                      i think this is the correct place:

GP editor ->Administrative Templates -> Network -> DNS Client -> DNS servers

there was nothing configured. then i configured it to test it with an unused IP it then applied the policy to one computer. i later changed the policy to 'not configured' and it still is on that computer - even after flushdns, etc.

my main concern is that for the connection-specific DNS suffix, domain.edu keeps coming up even though we are no longer connected to them. is it possible that another computer is on our network also acting as a dhcp server? wouldn't i get an event message in that case?

Comment

just sharing the process: new info, not sure yet if this was the problem, though

there was an old Mac running OSX server in our computer lab that had dhcp server running. it is stopped now, but will have to wait a while to see results.

also, on some computers, nslookup results show a previous GPO i created, but some do not.

Comment

Originally posted by badkarma View Post
                          but will have to wait a while to see results.
                          Can't you just do release and renew?

also, on some computers, nslookup results show a previous GPO i created, but some do not.
                          How does nslookup show you anything about GPOs?
                          Do you mean gpresults? Where did this previous GPO come from?
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                            Can't you just do release and renew?
                            when i do release/renew, after a few hours, the old dns servers reappear. the lease is set for something like 4 days

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                            How does nslookup show you anything about GPOs?
                            Do you mean gpresults? Where did this previous GPO come from?
                            sorry, i wasn't clear. i created a gpo that set dns server to be 134.xxx.xxx.2, later, i "not configured" that setting and when i do a nslookup, that IP address still appears. then, i set the same GPO to read 134.xxx.xxx.197 (the dns server address). when i do nslookup, it still shows 134.xxx.xxx.2

Comment

Originally posted by badkarma View Post
                              when i do release/renew, after a few hours, the old dns servers reappear.
                              It sounds like the "old" GPO is still getting applied unless you have a DHCP server handing that out.
                              Could you run gpresults or RSoP in logging mode and post the output?
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X